How much Mirilax do I give my 22 pound 2-year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Uh... You don't? Unless it was prescribed by his pediatrician, you do NOT give another person (especially a young child) a prescription drug. Not only is it illegal, but the health hazards are no where near worth it. I assume it WASN'T prescribed by his pediatrician because if it had been, the dosage for him would've been right there on the bottle.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it is an over the counter medication that I was told by his Ped. to use. He just didn't tell me the amount. I would not give my child prescription medication that isn't prescribed to him.
    Anonymous

• My Son had issues when he was little and I had to give him Miralax. You have to be really careful when giving it to young children because it's really strong and really works. I think I gave him a 1/2 cap full once a day. But you should really call him back and ask.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Mirlax is over the counter. Call the pediatrician or pharmacist to find out the correct dosage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My doctor had us start at 1/2 the adult dose (about 2.5 teaspoons) when my daughter was about 20 months. We were then to adjust the dose up or down (hopefully down) a little every few days until we found a good maintence dose. We ended up just under 2 teaspoons. If I give her more, she has diarehea. If I give her less, she has a hard time going.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 1/2 a teaspoon once a day with a liquid. once he/she gets a bowl movement you do not have to continue. I had to use it a few times. IT worked. good luck!
    rachel-unc

Answer by rachel-unc at 8:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would be very concerned about why a 2 year old is constipated. Start by evaluating his diet: is he eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes (beans, tofu, lentils,etc). Bananas, meat and dairy can all be constipating. Make sure that he is drinking lots of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2009