How do you get rid of Molluscum on a toddler?

Pediatrician said at 18 mos they wouldnt spread to face and would go away in a year. they spread to face and a dermatologist removed most from neck, but wouldn't touch face (scarring)or under the chin (too soft to scrape)they are still spreading slowly and since they are contagious, we don't play with anybody. and my son (age 2)is lonely. We've tried everything we can think of and nothing works. Prescription meds are $600 and no one has any samples to give us and we are told they don't necessarily work that well anyway. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• We got rid of molluscum on my son (after treatments at the derm didn't completely work) by "coring," or picking out the hard, white core in the center of each bump. It's important that if you squeeze a bump, you go all the way and get the core out. You'll know when it's out because it really pops out and it is hard. Also, clean the area very well after; I used a wet paper towel and a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Another hint: when possible, I'd pick one or two when he was napping to avoid a fight.

By the way, the only way they are contagious is if the "juice" comes in contact with someone else's skin and isn't cleaned off, often through water. For instance, my other son contracted the same condition by bathing together. If however, none of the bumps are open, and they usually aren't, he shouldn't be contagious. So I would let him play. We never had any incidents where his friends caught molluscum.
    ben-n-henrysmom

Answer by ben-n-henrysmom at 4:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009