Is your dog on heat worm medicine?

About a year ago, I stopped giving him the pills. He's hardly ever outside, except to potty. Is this okay, or would you suggest he start taking them again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Depends on where you live. I live in SC so I give heartworm meds. My dogs are outside about an hour to two hours a day and then to potty. Otherwise they are inside. I would only consider not giving them heartworm meds if we lived somewhere where heartworms weren't a big issue. Which I don't really know where that is, but I know it's not in the southeast.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would recommend it. They get it from mosquito bites. and yes my dog is.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i have 3 dogs and no they are not. i'm in the same vote as you and in az there are few mosquito's here. i do however take my dogs every 2 yrs to get checked for it even though they have no signs of heart worms.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• the vets here don't even offer it, it's not needed because there is no problem with it here, they will give it if you pet travels with you or to shows though
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009