Does anybodys temper get the best of them?

Sometimes when i'm pushed and pushed I go off. And DD is 2 1/2 so she is always pushing and i find myself on edge most of the time and when i finally am set of and i yell or punish her for her hundredth offence I feel so bad when my head cools. Like I could have handled that better or if i saw some one go off like that on tv i'd be taken back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boy don't they ever know how to push our buttons??!!! Lately I've found myself yelling when a simple time out (for both of us lol) would have been so much more effective. I hate yelling, but sometimes, I just get so irritated!
    "NO, DON'T DRAW ON THE GLASS DOOR WITH YOUR POPSICLE! I JUST CLEANED IT...AGAIN!" Like he gives a crap that I've just cleaned it, he just sees a surface that's easy to reach.
    I'm really working on the yelling thing and my patience is growing. It's like anything else, the more I do it, the better it gets. The more I practice self control, the better it gets and the better I feel about my abilities as a parent. Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with this.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• ugh i almost lost it this morning. im 33 weeks pregnant and i have a 15 month old (who acts much older lol) and i had my hands full and i was trying to get him into my sisters house so i could go to work but he just wanted to play outside and im tryin to drag him up a couple of stairs and he was doing the whole wet noodle thing and finally i ended up just hucking the stuff i was carrying so i could pick him up and get him inside. lol i feel foolish now but i mean i ended up on my knees trying to get him to work with me! but i know how you feel! lol we just have to remember to breath and walk away if you get too upset. good luck! =-)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old too, and he knows just exactly how to push my buttons too! He knows the look on my face by now that means i'm serious, dont even think about doing that again! I get a little too harsh in punishment sometimes too, and feel bad about it later. I dont mean beating him or anything like that, just a bigger punishment than was deserved. Like timeout for 5 minutes for asking for candy a million times!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I've had days like that too. When I reach the edge, I plop him in his stroller (sometimes with him kicking and screaming) and go for a walk. I sometime announce to him that it's his 'best chance for survival". LOL... The change of scenery usually does us both good. I don't think there's a parent out there who doesn't loose their cool at some point when their child has pushed their buttons for the umpteenth time... That's why parenting books tell you to put the child down someplace safe and just walk away for a few minutes!
    Anonymous

• Oh i've been there too - this morning in fact I yelled from the shower while he was crying/whining on the bathroom floor "I am all done listening to the whining today "- he's 19 months old and I swear that's all he knows to do...lol!! oh the wet noodle that the first poster said - lhaha.. my son totally does that too -! lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• lol...yeah im 13 weeks pregnant and i have my almost 2 year old and my 5 year old step daughter and i find my self going off way more than i should. Especially now that i am pregnant. Im still very tired and i get headaches and listening to he did this and she did that and him pushing her or her hitting him omg i wanna scream. I dont curse or anything but sometimes i get alittle carried away on the punishment end. One time my son decided he wanted to hit his sister with VHS tapes and wouldnt stop i mean after 3 times of me yelling and listening to her crying i popped his little but and i never popped him more than once but i did like 3 times and he cried for like 1 min and then i cried because i never done that befor of course he didnt care because when i pop him he comes crying to me gives me a hug and a kiss and tells me sorry...but i was just so heart broken..hes not use to his sister shes only here for the summer.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009