How do I tell him I don't want to walk with him?

I've been walking after dinner for the last week and a half.I walk like 2 1/2 miles a night. I've lost a few pounds.But I come home in a better mood.My husband told me that he wanted to start walking with me last night.He is way out of shape and I don't think he could keep up the pace I like to walk.And he has bad knees. I know he needs to get off the couch, and I'm glad he wants to.What should I do?How do I tell him without hurting his feelings?

evelynwest

Asked by evelynwest at 1:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• I would be so happy that he is willing to start working out that I would make the sacrifice and walk with him.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Why not do it? It may not be the most convenient for you right now, but you're obviously inspiring him. Telling him you don't want to walk with him might make him go straight back to the couch. Can you not slow down your pace a little bit for a week to help him out? And maybe by that point he'll be confident enough to go by himself.
    Anonymous

• I would also walk with him. See how it goes, he may surprise you. He also may catch up to you endurance wise in no time and then you can have a walking buddy AND a husband who is getting in shape. Win win. Give him a chance.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I say suck it up and walk with him.lol.. If it gets to be too much he will quit on his own. I do thinks it's sweet that he wants to give it a try... and if his health isn't what it should be this could be just what he needs. If it starts holding you back.. like you can't walk as much as you want with his company.. figure out a way you can do a little walking with him and finish up your walk alone.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009