babies sleeping in car seats

My baby is 3 months old and sleeps in her car seat at night. She has a crib, but when she sleeps on her back she will not sleep longer than 40 minutes or so before waking up. I make her take at least one 40 minute nap on her back during the day and the rest of the naps she usually takes in her swing. But at night she sleeps in her car seat and she is sleeping through the night there. Thoughts on this??

silvia316

Asked by silvia316 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• since 3 month olds arent quite mobile, thats ok. if I was out and about and my son fell asleep in the carseat, once home, I just laid the carseat in the crib since I was afraid of waking him up LOL but at nighttime I just laid him in the crib, no carseat.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Don't do it for long. It will misshapen the baby's head. Too many children are left in car seats for long periods of time for convenience (not saying you do that) and it misshapes the head and they have to wear those little helmets to fix it.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I remember doing that with a couple of mine, because they just simply slept better. My ped said it was fine, and the reason a lot of the time is from slight acid reflux even if their not diagnosed with that. A lot of babies spit up or whatever and it irritates them. Just like when we have heartburn or something!! I wouldn't worry about it if I were you :-)
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 1:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My baby loooved his car seat. I finally figured out it was because it made him feel snug due to all the padding around the sides. Once I replicated that in his crib with one of those sleep positioners and some rolled towels, he slept better there.
    Mrs.Soule

Answer by Mrs.Soule at 1:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my DD had to wear the helmet as well but man she never would sleep at first in anything other then that blasted car seat.. if i had to do it over again and knowing what i know now bout her lil head.. i would not leave her in one overnite
    Anonymous

• You know the misshapen head can happen in a crib as well? In fact my daughter's head is flat on her right side because she favored my left breast.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• be careful you dont let her head get flat. babies tend to like being all cuddled up so i get why they like swings and carseats but they generally pick the same side to sleep on and that makes a flat spot which can be dangerous. and some kids have to wear helmets to help the heads get bac to normal. i know most drs dont encourage babies to sleep on their tummies but mine did. my sone was a preemie and i was told to clear the crib of everyting and ut him on his stomach. he only had the sheet. and he slept well. was supposed to make it easier for him to breath. tthe dr had me to make sure his head to one side or the other so his face was exposed.
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 2:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think its fine for them to sleep in a carseat as long as they don't get so used to it that it is the only way they will sleep. You con't wan tto have to be breaking a toddler of it. I think you also have to be careful how much leave her in the carseat during the day too because my friend leaves her dd in the carseat for a large portion of the day because its convenient for her. the girl is one and she looks like a 7 month old if that, she doesn't have the capability to crawl properly let alone stand up to walk or anything. and her head is very misshapen, very flat and wide at the back. I am not in any way shape or form saying you do that lol, just giving a word of warning.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• that was the only way my baby would sleep. and i let him as all moms no we need our qute time too
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 2:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009