Do you make your children do chores?

And if they do...do they do ALL of the chores, or do you dole them out accordingly?

(I've been watching too much Wife Swap!)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• well not yet but yes she will as soon as she can comprehend things and they will be all age appropriate based
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 1:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I make my daughter (2.5 years old) help clean her room and pick up her toys in the living room. Those are her only "chores". She does have to clean up her mess if she spills something, though.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• OH yeah - they help with the laundry, the dishes, caring for the pets, taking out the trash, & picking up the house in general.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my older ones (15 and 12) have a chore list posted on the frig....the youngest at 3 puts her shoes away, hangs up her clothes and helps clean room and do laundry. Yes she loves it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• For sure!! I have five ages 9,7,6,4,and 2, and one on the way, and they clean up after themselves. Not to say that I don't help them when they need it but they need to learn to be responsible now and to appreciate all that is done for them, just like it will be out in the real world! I'm not making my kid's scrub the tubs or mop the floors but they know how to sweep, clean their own rooms, make bed, take care of their clothes that I fold for them. At the same time they are very appreciative of what I do for them already, my husband makes them aware of that in a very loving way if they throw an attitude doing something!!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 2:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my kids are all dif ages so i go by capabilities. my 16 year old is capable of cleaning a whole room.hes the only one i can trust to clean the floor right. where if my 9 year old gets a chore it might be to load the dishwasher. she does fine as long as you break it down. and the 7 year old would nt be trusted with either of those jobs hed break something. i have to be there to watch him or he doesnt do it at all. hehehe. they all started with teeny tiny things about 18 mo. like chucking a diapy or picking toys back up.
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 2:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yes I do. They are 14 and 8. They know what they are responsible for and what is expected of them.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• All of my children do chores. They are age appropriate. But even my 22mth olds help do something!!
    theyareallmine

Answer by theyareallmine at 2:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• This is hard to explain to people...I don't "make" my children do chores, but they still do them. (Or what other people would call chores anyway.) There are certain things that need to be done to make a house function and make it livable. Everyone in the house knows what those things are and chooses to do some of those things. They may do all of it by themselves or have help or only do part of it and have someone else finish, but they all do something that contributes. No one does the same chores all the time. If someone need help with something they ask for it and whoever is available to help does. We do have lists of things that we want to get done, but they're flexible. It's more of a cooperative effort than a "you must do this list of chores" kind of thing. Clear as mud, right? lol
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• All 4 of my children have chores (ages 8, 7, 6 and 3). Right now the 7 and 6 year olds are emptying the dishwasher. I told my 8yo to do it but as soon as I left the kitchen she ran off. Now she's grounded and they are going to get a treat .
    Most of their chores are basically cleaning up after themselves no matter what room they are in and taking care of their stuff. The older 3 have more chores then the 3yo. They don't do all of them every day (like I do laundry once a week and then they have to bring their dirty clothes to the basement and put away their clean clothes when I'm done washing).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009