How can I ease my son's pain while he's making a bowel movement?

I just started feeding my 9-mo old son stage 2 foods, which include chicken & turkey. Shortly afterwards, my normally "regular" pooper stopped pooping for 1.5 days. When he started pooping again, he did 9 times in one day, all the while straining and crying during each bowel movement. What should I do to help him?

braydonsmom0831

Asked by braydonsmom0831 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Give him fresh pears or pear juice (found in baby section). Prune juice is icky tasting and apple juice can cause irritation on the bottom (it always did for my kids).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• maybe a stool softener?I don't now what dosage it would be for a guy that young.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• try like a tsp of mineral oil. put it in a syringe of course and shoot it in his mouth. its lubes it up a lil and softens it. i had to do it with my LO.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• His body is getting used to the new foods. I would try prunes or plums, even a little weak warm tea to help loosen him up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Give him probiotics (you can add some to yogurt if you feed him that, or on a piece of fruit, or in his bottle). They'll help him digest easier.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 4:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would say if he is having that hard of a time going potty after switching to stage 2 foods, he's probably not ready for that stage yet.... I could be wrong. But thats what I thought. My daughter was on table/finger food at 8 1/2 months and never had a problem with her stools adjusting... so maybe he just isn't ready yet. =/
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 3:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Meat has no fiber and is really constipating.
    Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. You can five him avocado, oatmeal (mixed with pumpkin and a dash of cinnamon!), baked sweet potato, egg yolk, hummus, cooked beans, pureed vegetables, etc. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009