If you are a compulsive hand washer is it better to wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Health

• Soap and water at home and sanitizer when soap and water isn't available.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm not a compulsive hand washer, but soap and water is always the way to go to kill the most germs. Hand sanitizer is a great quick fix, but soap and water is best.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would think soap and water would be nicer to your hands. Those hand sanitizers are heavy on the alcohol.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• if yoou use sanitizer a lot the germs on ur hands will survive longer and be more immune to it.

sanitizer is only aboutr 94% effective...we did a test in my chem class a while ago....and they come out with new hand sanitizer often because the germs on ur hands wll become immune to it if you use it a lot...

soap and water does the job...just make sure its warm...
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Warm/hot water with NON anti-bacterial soap, lots of rubbing and a thorough rinsing.
    I wash A LOT due to my job as a bartender. If I am not careful I get cracks in my hands from overwashing, plus I handle a lot of citrus and the acid takes care of drying out my skin too!! LOL
    I prefer natural/ organic soap- easier on my skin and the planet, I consider the cost as part of my general health maintenance.
    Almost NOBODY uses hand sanitizer properly- and it is worse than ineffective if not used correctly.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Tea tree oil and lavender (to name a few) are natural disinfectants... honey will also moisturize your skin- it is a natural humectant. Coconut oil/butter is a great way to rehydrate your skin, as is olive oil.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Soap and water. The hand sanitizer would dry your hands out very bad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009