Is this unreasonable to expect of a ten year old?

My ten year old wants to start growing out his hair. I d not care if it long or not, but have told him he can only keep growing it if he takes care of it. Meaning he has to wash it and comb it everyday. He is a kid who does not like taking showers and I have not pushed it. He normally takes one every three days.
My mom said I was being too mean and it is his hair he should be able to do what he wants with it, even if it means not washing it.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 1:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You are not being mean. As you already are learning personal hygiene ESPECIALLLY with boys from about 9 or 10 up until almost 14 for some is more about hormones than anything. Everyone, as a rule, fights the same fight with tweens. As far as the hair goes/grows...he can grow it as long as he takes care of it..he doesn't and we would head to the barbershop in my house. Been there...done that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with you! If he wants long hair then he should take care of it. Good hygeine is important. If he doesn't feel like taking care of his hair...cut it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Ew, i wouldn't mind the grown out hair (as long as it was taken care of), but showering only every 3 days? I'm really not being rude or picking on your or anything, but doesn't he get smelly? Especially being a boy. My 2 year old gets a bath every night because even he gets that "little boy smell". *barf* And he's not even to the age where he is hitting puberty and getting even more smelly! lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Its not mean, he needs to learn good personal hygene. If he has long hair that he doesn't take care of then it could lead to lice or other things.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that he keeps up his personal hygiene. Especially since it's coming into summer.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If it is summer time, I don't see any harm in letting his hair grow longer.But I think when school starts again a kids hair should look presentable.But I'm with you on the washing part.My son takes a shower every day. I think it is nasty not to .Especially when they get into their beds to sleep.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No I do not think you are being mean or asking something unreasonable. Hygiene is important and no one wants their child walking around with knotty, smelly, greasy hair! I'd say hold your ground! Telling him he needs to keep himself clean and at least somewhat presentable is not such a ridiculous request.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He has never been a smelly kid...until now. He could go three days between a bath and I wouldn't even notice and I have a really strong sense of smell.
    It is just in the last few months that he is becoming stinky.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree on at least showering every once in a while! My brother and I took showers every other day until we were probably 10 or so! I used to hate having my hair brushed, so I had a huge knot in the back of my head until I was about 8 and got it all chopped off!

It's normal for boys to not want to shower, and having short hair would make me used to not so much washing it either, but I think you should push that on him! I always said to myself that I would never have yuck-faced kids and keep their hair looking good, I don't think you would like going shopping or something with him looking like a grease ball! I know I get embarassed if my daughter has snot on her face, and she's 2!
    CaddyG

Answer by CaddyG at 2:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am with you. As long as he washes it and keeps it nice looking, then long hair is ok. My son wanted to have long hair and he wouldn't keep it clean so it was cut. He is almost 13 BTW.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009