Breastfeeding moms, do you avoid certain foods?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 2:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, but if my baby was fussy after eating something then I would cut it out. Luckily my boys didn't have any trouble with anything I ate.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• With DD yes because she was allergic to milk and soy. But otherwise you shouldn't have to cut out foods.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Only it is affecting my baby. He doesn't seem to mind though. I eat peppers and it doesn't bother him. I also eat chocolate which some people swear against but it doesn't bother him. Thank goodness because I don't know what I would do without chocolate.
    Lia11721

Answer by Lia11721 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter would get gassy everytime I had caffeine so I avoided large amounts of caffeine while she was small. I was able to re-introduce it into my diet once she was older and eating some solid foods and it no longer made her gassy.
    You just have to see what works for your child and what doesn't.
    Anonymous

• WhenI was nursing I had to avoid brocolli, peppers-red or green, chocolate and eggs...they all made everyone of my kids gassy and fussy. Everyone is different. If you suspect it is something you ate don't eat it and see if that makes anything better.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yes, but for both me and YDS benefit, not because of allergies. I'm gluten free, eat very little dairy, and don't eat starchy tubular veggies, corn, beans. I stay away from any food you can't eat raw, but don't eat everything raw.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I eat aything I want. I do try not to eat "spicy" foods, like BBQ, pizza and such two nights in a row. My son does very well with everything I eat.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Never had to.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The only thing i avoid is to much caffeine, i allow myself one cup of coffee a day (if i drink to much she becomes fussy).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my daughter dont like it when i eat greasy food, or use pepper. and i try not to drink alot of soda either. she is 100% breastfed.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009