Why do you light a candle?

I know alot of people light a candle when they are praying or doing an invocation. So, what is the purpose? Is it to draw the spirit close to you? Is it so the smoke will carry the message to heaven? Or something else all together?
For me, I believe that spirits are drawn to light. So, if I am asking for help with certain things, I light a candle so the spirit I am trying to contact is drawn to me.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, it depends on the religious beliefs of the person I would guess. For me I light a candle and send out blessing energy. My candles are all placed in a setting of stone and water in this way the lighting of a candle draws from the energy of all elements. Smoke - air, Flame - fire, water - water and stone - earth... I add my energy and pray the gods and elements to deliver it where it's needed most.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I light candles for scent and light. I do not light candles for any other reason.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Spirits can see candle light and not so much electric. I light a candle so I can be seen and heard better....but I believe my guide can see me regardless.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It's symbolic for me. Jesus Christ is the light of the world - a candle symbolizes that concept. I don't need to light a candle for God to see me or be drawn to me or to hear my prayers. And lighting a candle is helpful with the electricity goes out.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I use them in formal rituals to draw the elements to my circle.
    Its a way I bring the circle of energy towards whatever Im working on.

I also use them to focus my energy when Im doing a candle working for some purpose.

I also use them for scent and ambience in my house LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My original answer was more for basic prayer... I honestly forgot all about ritual and what not. I of course use them for that as well, and just because I like them I don't just use them for magickal reasons.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I light them because to me it helps put me in a different frame of mind, of more consciousness, more awareness, more intentionality. It helps to bring the sacred "to light" -- even though every thing is sacred, and every moment holy, lighting a candle gives an extra focus to my thoughts and emotions.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Light symbolizes energy. Lighting a candle helps me concentrate my own power and energy towards my incantation and towards the person I am trying to help. All spirits, even angels, see candlelight better than incandescent lights. It calls them and you can give them your requests. I always thank those who give me assistance.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009