Has anyone ever had a baby that was just not a good sleeper?

My son is only 2 months but he does not sleep good ever it seems..I guess I'm looking for some reassurance...that maybe it will get better? I do a routine with him at bedtime.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found co-sleeping helped a lot with my first child who was not a good sleeper.

CO-SLEEPING: YES, NO, SOMETIMES?
    Dr. Bill's simple definition of co-sleeping: Mother and baby sleeping within arm's reach of one another. There's been so much confusion lately in the media about what co-sleeping means that I decided to come up with a simple accurate definition. As you will learn from the information below, the closer that mother and baby can sleep together the healthier it is for both of them.

http://askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• At 6 mos, I couldn't handle getting up 5x a night anymore, I was a zombie. So I did the Cry It Out method rec'd by doctors and it worked after 2 nights. She would sleep at 10 pm or 11pm and get up at 5 am to cuddle and get fed. So that was a bigger block of time than the previous, which was like get up every hour.
    Anonymous

• Co-sleeping didn't work with my twins. My dd was a great sleeper. She slept throught the night from about 10 weeks and she was breastfed. My twin boys didn't start sleeping through the night till they were 14 months old. My youngest who is exclusively breastfed started sleeping through the night at 10 weeks.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My second child was like this. She absolutely would not sleep in a crib, even for naps so I got a bassinet and pulled it as close to my bed as I could. It didn't work either. I finally put her in the bed with me and that worked! My third child, a boy, sleeps just fine in his crib and my 6 year old was always in the crib.
    nursetina

Answer by nursetina at 2:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Mine was a horrible sleeper. When I stopped worrying about how he slepts and went with his flow, he started sleeping better.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Babies are not wired to sleep like adults, and it's unfortunate that our society gives mothers this unrealistic expectation. I have 4 children, none of which our society would deem "good sleepers." I fought that with my first 2, and my daughter, who is almost 9, slept "well" by herself starting around a year. We never let her cry it out (there are tons of studies that refute this method as it does cause harm to your child), but with my 2nd child, we resorted to CIO around 7-8 months because he wouldn't sleep longer than 30 mins on his own. By 1 year, he finally slept through the night in his own room, but around age 3, he started night waking again, and has continued to have sleep problems off and on & he is turning 6 soon. I also see behavioural issues with him that lead me to believe he is afraid of not being responded to, so he acts out. I was exhausted by these 2,so I have co-slept with 3 & 4 & am much better rested!
    GoBabyGoDiane

Answer by GoBabyGoDiane at 3:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009