How can I find a Local UU church?

My husband is Christian (although I use that term loosely) and I am pagan. My BIL is having some serious health issues and though the only thing that keeps me from wishing him dead is my love for my DH, I am doing what I can to be the help and support he needs. When my DHs mother passed he found a great comfort within his church but never really bought in to allot of the teachings, which should be obvious by the fact that he married and had a family with a witch. I think though that he would find comfort again in such an environment but he isn't comfortable in traditional Christian churches and it goes without saying that I am not either.

I think however that a UU church may act as the support he needs while helping to bridge the gap in faith between the two of us, and in the end be a benefit for us both. But where do I find one? We have 40 churches in my small town of 4000 people, none are UU...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Google it. Type in "unitarian universalist church" along with your city and state. You'll find the closest locations.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thanks to both of you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• UU churches are great for a blended religion home. My BBF and her husband attend regularly. Shes Pagan and hes Christian. It has really helped him understand her POV
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I have gone once to one and I will probably go again. They are nice to be at.
    They have a website I think someone already posted and it tells you more than just the nearest ones, it lists which ones are handicap friendly and which ones are welcoming ( I think that is for gay couples) and other info as well as a link to the local chapters web page if they have one.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• http://uua.org/

And if you can't find one of those close to you, you may be interested in checking out a Unity Church. It's very similar. Our main website is www.unity.org.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 3:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• There are two listed with in about 10 - 15 miles of me so I'm hoping he would be willing to go. Thanks to you all for your help in finding one. Now, I guess it's all up to me. I think my biggest chalenge will be that they are so far from us. We live in this little valley where nothing gets in and little gets out... So, getting him to go to the city is gonna be tough, but I think it'll be worth it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Congrats, Sabrina, on finding one so close! I'm sorry to hear that your husband is going through a rough patch right now and I hope that he does find what he needs there. From what I've heard, since you're Pagan, you might also find some enjoyment from the UU church. I've been trying for months to find one nearby, but with no luck. The nearest I've found is about 3 hours away. I totally understand where you're coming from with the small town and tons of Christian churches. We live in a town with like 2,000 people, about 2.5sq miles, and there's about 100 churches within a 5mi radius, maybe more. Let me know how things go, if you get him to go with you. I'd love to hear from someone I know about how those churches are.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009