just curious about dog breeders and not back yard dog breeders

i hear it all the time when a dog should be bred is to improve the dog breed and dog breed health etc. so it makes it sound like your doing it to improve the breed and not to make money off them but if that is why you do breed then why do you charge so much for them?

i have a standard poodle and always felt this dog i would never get to own cause they are so expensive. as luck would have it a breeder on craigslist posted their puppies really cheap. i was able to get one. she was akc limited but always wondered if her stock was not as good or why they were selling them so cheap. they had like 5 females. so why would she of been cheap? also as mentioned why do you charge so much for them if your not doing it to make money off them?

no bashing against dog breeders please.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pets

• As a reputable breeder I am not out to improve the breed but rather preserve the breed. Through extensive testing and a knowledge of genetics, I am able to avoid disaster. I will also pull an animal from my breeding program if they produce puppies with autosomal recessive issues, ie: micro-ophthalmia and congenital cataracts to name a few. These are considered recessive until proven otherwise and can be a breeding disaster when paired with an untested dog. I actively show in conformation, meaning every Thursday-Sunday and sometimes Monday. I also believe the animal should be functional for the purpose it exists. Breed standards are there for reasons. A 90 pound Greyhound can not course efficiently making it an undesirable hunter and one that would fail to thrive if left to the wild. My breeding's are spoken for prior to breeding and contrary to what people believe,

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The term "backyard breeder" is a derogatory term for those who do dog breeding as a hobby rather than a business or passion. However, I've found that most who do so do it for the love of the breed, and do it only once in a while. They generally do not have the connections that many kennel members do, but if you do your research, they can be just as great. "Backyard breeders" are often blamed for inbreeding of the breed. However, I'd be more concerned about the puppy mill-- and don't think only big operations apply.

I would be concerned about anyone selling their dogs for "way cheap" and below the norm. There may be many reasons, usually one being that the pups are older and the breeder needs to sell them. Good breeders will give you a contract covering health (i.e. parents have been checked for defects) and return policy (you must return the dog to the breeder if you are no longer capable of caring for it).
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My MIL breeds St. Bernards. She just loves puppies, and breeds her dam 1-2x total-- when the dam is about 3 and again at 4 or 5. Her pups sell for $1200, are fully AKC registered, and she is able to provide a parental history. She provides all of this information during the interview for the pup. Considering she gets usually between 4-8 pups, sometimes the sale of the litter only pays for medical expenses (checkups, ultrasounds, etc).

I suppose she is technically a "backyard breeder" as she does not run a business, but I would hardly say the quality of her pups are less than that of a traditional breeder. The last litter she sold 1 pup for $1000 becuase the pup was 14 weeks old when sold.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I'm not a dog breeder of any sort, but I am a Whippet owner and lover. There are a couple of Whippet message boards that I go to and there are quite a few breeders on there. After awhile you can tell the better breeders from the not so good breeders.
    1. They only breed one or two litters per year and only a handful of litters from one bitch and they wait until the bitch is an adult to breed her
    2. They are active in dog shows or performance events - for Whippets, lure coursing or racing would be the performance that they've been bred to do over a couple hundred years
    3. They have a contract with the pet owners concerning return policy
    4. If they sell a puppy to a pet home rather than a show home they have a spay/neuter contract - this usually involves limited AKC registration - meaning the dog or bitch cannot be used to register a litter of puppies (I think)
    5. They are active in their local kennel/breed club

CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• 6. They do necessary health testing on both parents prior to breeding and they look into the pedigrees on both sides looking for potential health problems
    7. They ask you questions and expect references. They expect you to research them - ask questions, visit their house, etc.

Whippet breeders typically charge $600-1200 for puppies. A pet quality pup will go for closer to the $600 range and a show pup from a bitch or stud that is very well known in the show or race world will go closer to the $900-1200 range. Most of the time. That seems like a lot, but when you factor in the cost of vet care, food, stud fees, etc. it starts to add up. Not to mention the cost of show fees, gas, motels, etc. when you are showing/racing your dog. We lure course our girls a couple times a year. The entry fees are usually around $20 per dog, per day. So there's $80 for a weekend. Two nights in a hotel is around $100-$140.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• A lot of the hobby breeders will do shows/races way way way more than that. So all that adds up. Not to mention that when you are doing performance events, there is the potential for injuries. So the term hobby breeder is not synonymous with backyard breeder. A hobby breeder loves the breed, shows or does performance events with their dogs, and breeds to get a sound looking pup with a good temperment. They are proud of the champions they have shown and want continue a line and are proud when their pups go on to become champions themselves. If a pup gets titles in both the show world and the racing/coursing world - even better. So if they sell their pups and get back say $5000, that really isn't much compared to what they've put into their dogs.

To me a backyard breeder is someone who wants to breed Fluffy because she's so cute and the family adores her and/or it would be a great learning experience for the kids.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Genuine breeders have to have an extensive knowledge of genetics and the breed they are working with. They have to study the dog they have and find a dog to breed with to turn out to as close to perfect as possible, both in conformation and temperament. This often means shipping usually the male dog, somewhere, boarding him till they get to know each other and get over the stress of travel, breeding them, shipping the dog back, paying stud fees, careful care of the bitch, veternary care for her and the pups, the pups shots, and care, it all adds up, to quite a lot. The breeder has to know from looking at the puppies which ones will be pet quality and which ones might have show potential. It's a big investment in time and money and expertise to ensure you get a dog with will be a good representative of the breed, even if it is pet quality. They have to make sure the pet is going to a good home too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My dog is a limited registery Welsh Corgi and that means if he were to sire a litter they could not be registered, it says so right on his registration. It's a moot point in his case though since he is neutered.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• cont:

Contrary to what the general public believes about the reputable breeder, we do not breed for you but rather ourselves. We keep our best and any breeder that sells their best stock is not breeding for the right reasons.

The use of the word YOU does not mean you directly.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• As equusvetgal stated, reputable breeders breed first and foremost for their own breeding program and they do such extensive health screening, showing, etc, that the money they would sell pups for doesn't even get them to a breaking even point with all they have put into the dogs they bring into the world. Between prenatal and postnatal care, possible complications (c-sections run in the thousands), vaccines, wormings, paperwork, food, supplements, etc... breeders are not making money.
    As far as a reputable breeder selling their dogs on Craigslist?? Well, no reputable breeder I know of would be selling anything there. Ever.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2009