how do I explain what ephased means?

I am in the hospital and I am 1 1/2 cm dialated and 50% ephased! I am trying to explain to friends what that means and I cant get them to understand from how the doctors explained! the problem is I am only 29 weeks along

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 2:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all if this is your second child then being 50% effaced (thats how you spell it) is completely normal. As for the 1/5 cm dilated... you need to find out if that is your outer or inner oz becuase if it is your outer one than that doesnt mean anything at all. So make sure to ask that question, its VERY important!!

Ok now how to explain effacement, because in my opinion even "softening" and "thinning out" is confusing to some people. I explain it like this... your cervix starts off 5 cm and picture it looking like a balloon that they use to make balloon animals, only with 2 openings. One opens to your vagina and one opens to your uterus. As you efface (from 0% effaced to 100% effaced) its basically like letting the air out of the balloon until there is nothing left and the two openings touch each other.

Does that makes sense? it worked for me when I was explaining it to people
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it means your cervix is softening and thining out.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• well that is easier to explain! why cant doctors say it that way?
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I dont know how it came onto my profile but this is my first child! thats why the ephased thing is so serious.
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 3:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I didnt check your profile. I just assumed (yeah I know... I shouldnt do that!!) that you had a child already because your profile has a childs name so I figured you had another kid... sorry!!

Ok having said all that... I was 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated at 31 weeks and still made it to an induction at 38 weeks. I was even 5 cm at 37 weeks but it really didnt mean anything.

More important than that effacement really is whether that was your outer or inner oz. Some doctors and nurses dont tell you the difference when they check you
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I will have to ask the doctor when I have my next checkup! just know they have been keeping me in the hospital cause of my contractions I guess! they keep on coming back eventhough I am taking medications!
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009