• In the Spotlight:

Question about UU church

My husband and I attended a UU church and we happened to attend on the day they were doing a earthday service and it was really more informative about the different farmer's markets and what not around our area. I really want to go back but my husband wants to learn more about religion when we go instead of local people coming in and talking. So my question is what does a regular service at a UU church consist of? Do they talk about all the religions?

Lacymarie

Asked by Lacymarie at 2:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have only gone to one service, but it was a ot like a normal service, but instead of preaching on god they preach on differences and embracing them. I plan on going back. It was really nice.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• They do learn about many religions and do not focus on one. They focus on the good of human kind of what we all have in common.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• One thing about UU churches is it's almost impossible to form an opinion about that congregation from just one visit. You should go a couple more times to get a fuller picture of that church's "flavor" and focus.

Also, check and see if that congregation has smaller groups for particular religious paths within UU. (Our church has a Buddhist group, Christian group, and Earth Based Spirituality group) -- meeting with those people can help you to go more in depth with different beliefs. Also, they may also offer an adult religious education course, or a "Defining Your Spirituality" type course. They probably won't discuss any particular religion during the sermons -- IME they tend to do sermons about social justice, environmental, or spiritual topics and draw from different faiths in that. One Sunday ours had their annual "music" day and there was traditional gospel music as well as Islamic chant. It was really beautiful. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009