How can I figure out a way to be more organized???

My life seems to be so chaotic because I am a very unorganized person and it causes me a lot of stress because every time I turn around in a room there is a bunch of clutter. I think that I am always stressed out because of my complete lack of organization skills. And this especially doesn't help me any since I have a second baby on the way. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do, or any places that I can contact for help??? Thanks

wcostner

Asked by wcostner at 2:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• get some boxes and start putting things into them and sorting things out. Get a filing cabinet to put all your papers in, rubber maid containers also work great for toys baby clothes till ready to use them good luck! Oh and if you dont need something get rid of it!
    Anonymous

• Little, by little, by little. If you try to tackle it all at once, it gets extremely overwhelming, you give up, and then you are right back where you started!
    Pick ONE room, one part of the room. Start by just moving stuff. Even if you're moving things from one room into another - eventually it has to end up somewhere, right?
    A general rule that I keep is that if I haven't used one of my "senses" on an item in 6 months - it gets tossed. So, if you haven't touched it, seen it, smelled it, whatever, in 6 months - TOSS IT.

That idea works for papers, clothes, toys, all household items. Just ask yourself - do I REALLY need this??

Once you've got the majority of your clutter gone, it does need to be maintained. I try to do a 10 minute sweep of my house every day and throw out or put away whatever isn't being utilized.
    Once a month, go back over your original route through each room and de clutter again! GL!!!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I've been dealing with the same thing!! Just had a yard sale and made almost $300.00. I went through my house and if it wasn't "useful, beautiful or meaningful" to me it went in the sale. I feel SOOO much better and made a little extra cash too. Now I am finally able to organize!!! Hope that helps!!
    Anonymous

• so far some excellent advise. i would add tho that if you find you need some sort of containers or something for organizing that you post a wanted on your local freecycle (yahoo groups) and if you have something that you dont want to thro away but no one bought it at your yard sale post an offer on your local freecycle
    melanielmcgee

Answer by melanielmcgee at 3:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am going throught this same exact thing you are not alone first thing I did was went out and bought a file cabinet, file folders, plastic shoe boxes and rubbermaid contaners. Then i slowly tackled the room i didn't let myself out of that section until it was done, I separated things into tote how i felt they should be separated then when i was done i had a room full of totes and I go through one or more a day and figure out should i keep whats in here, sell it or throw it away it is easier to tackle a box at a time rather than it all at once and to not see the mess helps your mind
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 3:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think I will go out and get some containers and begin putting things in them. My main issue is that I hold on to too many papers because I always think that I will need them one day in the future. I also hold on to old clothing for some strange reason, as if I'm ever going to wear it again lol. Thanks for all of the advice, it's so helpful. I'm just a pack rat and I know that a clean house equals less stress for myself and I'm going to work on it today and get things in order!
    wcostner

Answer by wcostner at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Little by little you place things in their HOME !! EVERYTHING has a home & is to be put in its home when not in use. EVERYTHING goes HOME, EVERY TIME !! Google "home organizing " there are tons of sites on the subject.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2009