Birthday party for a 1 year old boy?

Ok, well, I just got back from a little boy's first party and now I am sort of depressed. Here's why-it was huge, well, not the stuff but the people, they had neighbors, friends, family, and well, for my son we'll have just the people that held the party for their little boy and the grandparents of the little boy. My family just moved. My sis will be there though, and well, that's about it. I'm not sure what to do...who has time for physical friends, the only friends I have are you ladies here on Cafemom, LOL. This is so depressing. Any suggestions. I was probably just going to have it at our apartment and then whoever wants to stay after we can go to the pool. The only thing I hate about that, that is exactly what we did for Ana my 3 year old, earlier this month! Please any suggestions.

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is going to have his 1st birthday on the 5th so im right there with you. My advice is to not make it about you. keep it small and age appropriate, so he will enjoy it. Remember...He will feel it if you are stressing and it may, though your intentions are good, ruin HIS good time.
    lambsroar

Answer by lambsroar at 7:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Give your son whatever birthday party YOU want to! Don't feel like you have to 'keep up with the Jones's. Invite the people you really love and have a good time. That's what it's really about, celebrating the birth of your little boy : )
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 7:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE POSTER. NO NEED TO FEEL BAD BECAUSE YOU AREN'T KEEPING UP WITH WHAT OTHER'S DO FOR THEIR KIDS JUST INVITE THE ONE'S YOU REALLY LOVE AND HAVE A GREAT TIME CELEBRATING YOUR SON'S BIRTH AND THE AMAZING FIRST YEAR HE HAD!
    MomOf2LilGirls

Answer by MomOf2LilGirls at 7:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It's OK... don't judge the QUALITY of a party by the number of people who come, unless you're looking for a lot of gifts. Some people have LOTS of friends and family & some people don't. Your son will be 1... he won't remember any of it anyway. Just have your small party, take lots of photos of the birthday boy & have fun :)
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It doesn't matter how many people are there as long as they are the people he loves. Children that age feel overwhelemed at big gatherings. Since it is his special day making it a day for those he loves most is the perfect thing to do. No need to feel bad you are doing exactly what he needs.
    jnthn949

Answer by jnthn949 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I went through this in a sort of similar way this past year with my sons 2nd birthday it was time for planning and my 5 year old nephew got diagnosed with cancer so most of my family had went to cleveland childrens hospital so all plans of having a party went down the drain. Me and my boyfriend decided to just make him a cake and have cake and icecream at home with just us and our kids and let me tell you it turned out amazing...just bake him a cake and decorate it in his favorite thing and just hang out and do what he wants to do. It doesn't have to be extravagant to be rewardable and your son will have a blast no matter if its 1 or 10 people. Good luck and take lots of pictures to look back on:)
    talbertchica2

Answer by talbertchica2 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• chucky cheese
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about the amount of people at all!!! Haven't you even heard its the quality not the quanity? For Mariela's 1st bday..I had a huge party...It was crazy, I couldn't have a good time at all. I was so worried about it all! For Elena's bday of the 9th I reserved a shelter at a local park and letting the kids ruun like crazy and have fun! Because in reality..that's what it is all about!! Have fun and don't compare!
    nini81

Answer by nini81 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• The only thing that matters is that your son enjoys the party. Do what he would like. I knew one family who had a huge party, including things that he son wouldn't even be able to take part in. It should be about your son, not about what others are doing or anything like that. It should be focused on him.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 10:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• When my daughter was 1 she wasn't really interested in a whole lot of people and was only walking while supporting herself on things. She seems quite happy with a small party with only immediate family. After family party time you could always take him to the park or even have the party at the park if you wanted him to play with other kids too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2008