What is appropriate for a gift certificate, as a wedding gift?

The couple are very close friends of ours. They registered at places like Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier 1, and Target. I know they want gift certificates. I was wondering- what is an appropriate amount to put on the card? We don't have a much spare cash right now, but I don't want to seem cheap. I love them and wish we could do more!

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Don't go into debt to buy a gift; your friends don't want this from you.
    Buy what your budget can handle; your friends know that you love them.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If they registered, why not buy them something from their registry...you can probably get one or more items on sale or with a coupon...or better yet, print their registry, and see if you can find a brand name item from their list at a different store that may be selling it cheaper?! And at least you know it's what they wanted! Otherwise, if they're close friends, I would give at least $100 for a gift certificate.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• it is the thought that counts to be 100% honest, I recently lost my job and I went to a friends wedding with just a card, i am sure she understood she knows what i am going through with a baby on the way and no job something as small as $20.00 would help any newlywed out truly it's the thought that counts!!
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 3:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009