Am I being too protective?

We have lived in our house for almost 4 years now and my children havent met very many of the kids around our neighborhood, since there arent many that are their ages. About 2 days ago, my neighbor comes over asking about my daughter. I Because she has a granddaughter or something that is almost my daughters age (my daughter is 5 yrs old) that comes and lives with her a few days every so often! They have been playing a LOT these past 2 days and they seem to really get along, which Im SUPER happy about! Im a very worried mother. Im worried that someone will take either of my kids. Maybe that sounds dumb but I watch over my kids all the time! Well today the grandma and the granddaughter come over asking to play over at their house, which is fine! But then the grandma asks me if they can take my daughter fishing tomorrow! They have only known eachother for 2 days, plus my daughter has never been fishing- continued below...

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• You really have a few options, and that is go along with them, step out of your box, would your other child have fun? Or let her go, but if your biggest worry is her being around the lake maybe stipulate that she must wear a life vest (go buy one if needed) when she is near the water, get thier cell phone number if they have one, don't be afraid to say "Hey this is the first time I have let her go anywhere I am not, and I am a little nervous" most people understand cause even parents who aren't over protective have issues with this. Or not let her go and find a tactfull way to do it...maybe already have plans for that day.

Good luck it is never easy the first time!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I dont want her to go! 1 because I dont know how well they are going to watch her... this will be her first time around a lake... and 2 I dont know them very well! I dont want to be overly protective but I feel a little uncomfortable about this!
    Am I freaking out over something dumb and little?
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Plus it has never been easy for me to make friends... I dont want that to happen to my daughter! I dont want to seclude her from any friendship because of my own issues!!! I guess I just have a hard time trusting people with my children!!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Make the stipulation that she can go if you're allowed to tag along. They'll most likely understand.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My DD would not go either and she is your daughters age..
    You do not know those people...

I agree with the above poster;;;
    kittyhasclaws
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree w/ Kitty they'll prolly let u tag along & that is what I would do as well. Your not overprotective I get really worried about my DD all the time w/ water & ppl we barely/dont know.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Tell them that you want to get to know them better before she goes without you, so is it okay if you tag along. I would imagine that the grandmother will understand and that you will be more than welcome. If you are polite, but honest, most people understand that it's not about them, but about you being comfortable.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The only thing is... I myself have issues... Tagging along makes me go outside of my comfort zone, completely!!!! I dont want my issues affecting my childs friendships though!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No I do not think you are being overprotective. I would NEVER let my son go with someone who I didn't know well enough. What if you came along? Then you could get to know them a little better. If not, than no I would not let her go.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to go outside of your comfort zone if you're ever going to get past it. Force yourself to do it, or it WILL effect your daughter.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009