your childs name?

What were some of the things or ways you went about finding out what you wanted your childs name to be ? I'm just approaching my 16week mark so in 4 weeks i find out (which im counting down) what i will have, i'm crossing my fingers for a boy, but what how did you find out the names that you grew to love to give to your child?

dorkish_face

Asked by dorkish_face at 2:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A long time ago, I had heard the name and liked it then. I knew I wanted something out of the norm...and it also had to be an actual name. When I was pregnant, I ran across the name again in a babyname book and said it with my last name and loved it. I just knew it was the one. I then paired it with every name in the book starting with Aaron, Abel...and so on till I hit the last name in the book. I wrote down every name I kind of liked with it. Then slowly went back through again and again until I had it down to three. At the hospital after he was born, I settled on Braden Alexander. And this was 13 years ago before all the -aden rage hit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hi, I have 3 kids. 2 boys and 1 girl. My first was going to be Kevin, but thought I should save that name for another, always loved Justin as I had a client whose son's was Justin and he was just gorgeous and she would bring him to the bank with her. So my first is Justin. My 2nd son became Kevin. That too was a favorite as my all time favorite movie is still "Home Alone" charater is Kevin and very mischievious as my Kevin..so the name fits very well. LOL. My baby girl is Katelin. since both my boys ends in "in" I searched a few names that ended in "in" and came across this name. I also had a neighbor and their daughter was kaytelyn. Different spellings. I would say...make a list of 5-10 names you have always liked . Good luck and congrats.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My daughter is named after family. Her name is Jaylyn Rose. The Jay is from my grandfather, I always knew I would name my child after him. The lyn part came from my mother in law her name is Linda. And Rose is my mother's middle name. If you or your husband have someone in your families that you greatly admire you can name them after them. You don't have to use their exact name but can do something close to it.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 3:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well my first is Damien Isaiah we didn't get it from the movie either we get joked around with all the time about his first name we just looked in the baby book for a few weeks after we found out wat we was having and then both agreed on a name we liked i kinda named his middle name though cause hubby couldn't make up his mind at the time. And our second son's name is Gavin Pierce we again didn't name him after anyone or anything and not after a movie star we both searched names on baby websites and came up with two names we liked our second name for gavin was going to be Landon Cole but we decided we liked gavin pierce better.

littleboys2008

Answer by littleboys2008 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We named our kids after grandparents. DH's grandma passed away a few months before I got pregnant with my daughter, so she got her name. I was 5 months pregnant with my son when his grandpa passed, so he got his name. Although by Drs. orders I am not able to have any more, I know that if I were to have another daughter, she'd be named after my Mom who passed away a year ago this month.
    Before we decided on those names, we made a list of names both of us liked-first and middle-and we just 'let them marinate' on us for a couple of months. If we decided we didn't like a name, it got crossed off the list or changed to something else.
    I also took into account the fact that when my kids hit school age, they would have to learn how to spell and write their names, so I didn't want anything to long or complicated.
    It's not as easy as people think it is.
    mamahud

Answer by mamahud at 3:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2009