I hate being around when my 3.5 DD and 21 month niece are together....

When they get together they drive me crazy because they don't to share and most of the time sit there grabbing toys from each other! My DD usuallu isn't like this with other kids, why her cousin? Sometimes i don't want to go around because the kids stress me out!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• The concept of "sharing" is incorrect. In a kid's world "sharing" means 'give that toy you are playing with to the other kid and let her play with it'. Kids learn this quickly and begin to yell and scream when they want something another kid has because mommy is going to say 'now sweety, you need to share'. I decided a long time ago not to make kids give up the toy . If he had 2 of the toys, then we shared. If there was only one, we didn't train either of the kids to be bullies and demand what the other had. Just make sure there are doubles of everything. Three year olds only co-play anyway. They don't engage in interactive creative play. They scream to get you to make the other 'share' by making her give it up.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That's a tough one. Adults have certain personalities ( a certain boss, cousin, etc) that they just don't like and don't get along with. Could this be true with toddlers too? My toddler grandgirl and grandson only play well together about half the time, they both play well with their 5.75 year old sister almost all the time. Their mom, my beautiful beloved daughter-in-law, makes them work it out and play nice or consequences will come shortly! Why? 1) She doesn't have time for all that fighting and nonsense 2) They are GOING TO HAVE TO LEARN TO GET ALONG WITH EVERYONE SOONER OR LATER, so they might as well learn now. (Point 2 is a biggy in life)
    1-2caf

Answer by 1-2caf at 6:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am in the same situation. Only, my best friend's little girl is one month older than my son. My son plays nice, but her daughter grabs him/toys/etc. and frustrates my son... thus making socialization difficult. It'll be interesting to read what others have to say. My son hates hanging out with my bestie's daughter! I can't blame her. All she wans is to love on my baby!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2009