How do I begin to make a pumped supply of breastmilk?

How much should I do at a time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped first thing in the morning because that's when milk supply is at its greatest. You can also get in a pumping session in the midafternoons( between feedings) because that's when your milk supply is at its lowest, so by pumping then, you should be able to increase your supply and pump some milk for storing. Just pump as much as you can squeeze out, so to speak, so you'll have a surplus.Some women pump on one side, while nursing on the other, but I couldn't figure out the logistics of that method!! Maybe a woman who has done that will be able to explain the technique!!

Otherwise, pumping between feedings, or just after a feeding, should give you a good amount for storing.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Hi. This is my first time answering anything on here but I feel qualified, so here it goes.

At about four weeks, my baby girl (who is now almost 12 weeks) and I had a great nursing relationship; thankfully I never had trouble with it. It was then that I decided to start pumping to 1. establish an "emergency" supply (in case I felt like indulging in a glass of wine or two...or three) and 2. I knew I'd be going back to work and would need to provide pumped milk during the day so I would need to get the hang of pumping.

The easiest way to get started is in the morning when your milk is most abundant. After I nursed my baby, I pumped the remaining milk into two bottles using the medela double electric pump. I then stored the milk in medela freezer bags. Put no more than 2 or 3ozs in a bag because your baby won't need more than that when you eventually give her a bottle. Now that my baby is 12 weeks (more..)
    Liss2626

Answer by Liss2626 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• (cont...) I freeze 4oz at a time.

I was lucky enough that I got a "hand me down" electric pump from a cousin who never used it. However, I recently bought a manual hand pump (Avent Isis...I believe it's called) and it works just as good, if not better, than the expensive electric one. Plus it fits in a bag and will be more convienant for when I return to work and have to pump.

I found Medela bags were the best and had no leaks, but I've also used Lansinol bags and they worked fairly well, too.

Remember, in a regular freezer, you can freeze milk up to 6 months. When you thaw it, don't microwave. Either let it defrost in the fridge (and use wthin 24 hours) or run it under warm water.

Hope that helps.
    Liss2626

Answer by Liss2626 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I added an extra pumping session at night before I went to bed... my body adjusted to expect the demand at that time and I was able to store a bunch.
    I stored in 6 oz bags... but I wish they would have been 4 oz. He took 4 oz from about 3 months to 8 months
    I liked the lansinoh bags the best for storage
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009