getting to become a BIG girl

I need some advice on transitioning my dd. she is going to be 1 next week and I am curious on how to switch her from her formula to milk. Also the taking away of her bottle which has been her only saftey blankie so to speak. I am expecting another baby when my dd is 14 months so I am trying to make her feel like a big girl, has anyone had any experience or advice on potty training a 1 year old or any advice about how to prepare her for the new baby??

srry lots of questions:)

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not her fault you are pregnant again...why are you going to try and switch to whole milk, get rid of bottles and potty train her all of a sudden? You need to start slowly and do one thing at a time. She will not be all grown up and ready for a sibling.....I would start with the milk. Then, later when she is ok with that, sippy cups. Potty training probably won't happen until she is 2.5 at least.
    Anonymous

• i'm not saying all at once. it was my plan to try and potty train her at 1 when I was still pregnant with her and i have been told that to help her get used to the new baby to make her feel like a big girl. and my doctor told me to switch her to whole milk at one!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well, the way you put it in question was like you wanted to hurry and get it all done before the baby comes...and it wouldn't be right. You can switch the milk at one...and give her a sippy of it or some juice...that all can be done fairly easily. But, most kids aren't ready to potty train until 2.5 at least. Try googleing "potty training readiness" and see if she meets any of the criteria.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was on whole milk at 11 months....her pedi said to introduce it slowly because it could take some time....Milly never looked back! In fact she didnt want the formula when i gave it to her at bed time. She wanted her milk....a month later i bought her her first sippy as part of her Bday present and she thought it was the coolest thing next to her new clothes (shes a girly girl) She has been the one guiding me as to when to make changes and I just listened to her and to my instict. If you feel comfortable than go for it. I was a huge relief on my budget to go to whole milk and sippies are so much easier to sterilize. Potty training well, shes not quite there but she does tell me when shes dirty now so at 16 months i think we're on track!
    MiasMommy21

Answer by MiasMommy21 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009