After i give birth I have 2 months before I go back to work. I am trying to look up things on how to wean so i have a time frame and what is easy but there is nothing out there for weaning early

CMS930

Asked by CMS930 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't HAVE to wean if you don't want to!!! Legally, you have the right to pump at work and give your baby expressed breast milk.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would do just what the PP posted. If you truly want to continute to BF, then you have the right to pump at work. Medela makes awesome pumps, it only takes a few minutes. You just need to take along a cooler with ice to store the baggies of milk in. You can start pumping as soon as baby is born, building up your supply of pumped milk because you can freeze it, that way you don't have to worry about the baby running out when you aren't home. Then you also should introduce the baby to a bottle of pumped milk when he/she is hungry. You can alternate breast and bottle, and while you are at work, he can drink bottles, and when you are home you can still nurse him.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Pumping at work will not really work for me. Need help with the weaning process
    CMS930

Answer by CMS930 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Your choice is your business, and even 2 months of breastfeeding is better than none. If I were weaning early,I would just get her used to taking a bottle early... like offer one bottle a day from age 2-3 weeks on. Most likely your baby will handle both breast and bottle just fine. The easiest, least painful way to wean is to cut out one feeding at a time and replace it with a bottle (and not to pump then, since you're weaning your body from making as much milk, as well). I'm not sure when to start this process... maybe a few weeks before going back, dropping a feeding every few days. If I were in your situation (again this is me), I would keep him on the breast at night and when you are around, even if you want to do formula rather than pumping while you work. Pulling out the breast is much more convenient than making a bottle in the wee hours, and baby will continue to get your immunities... Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2009