How do you wean a 13 month old from night time nursing?

She wakes at least once a night and the only way to get her to go back to sleep without waking the others is to nurse her. she will nurse for 10-15 minutes like if she is hungry, although I fill her up before bedtime with dinner and breastmilk. Occassionally, she will sleep thru the night, but it is not often, so I know she is capable. Eventually, I would like to wean her altoghther. She sleeps in her own room in a crib since day. So co-sleeping is not an issue. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BusinessMom123

Asked by BusinessMom123 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How many hours are you talking about? What time is bedtime and what time is she waking up? Remember she's still a baby with a small stomach and can't be expected to fast as long as an adult.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• She goes to bed at 9pm and wakes anytime between 1 and 4am. It changes every night. I know she is able to sleep thru the night, cause she has done it in the past month 4 nights in a row...and i kept the same routine, same pjs, temperature and all. I keep telling myself that she is still a baby and needs food at night, but her ped. thinks different. She only naps for 1-2.5hrs in the middle of the day. thanks for you response..look forward to others.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Honestly I did the same thing-he nursed during the night like he was hungry. And then at 6 months he slept 8-6 nurse and go back to sleep until 9. Then he got his first tooth and all good nighttime patterns went to hell. Evereytime that he has woken at night I figured he was hungry b/c he would go right back to sleep without any problems. :-) Then about 15 months he just started sleeping through the night -I have done nothing different, nothing. He is 17 months old and still sleeping through the night 8-7.

I dont agree with the ped (but I normally dont) lol

When she wakes does she want to play or is it straight to nursing and then back to sleep?

IMO keep nursing her-one day she will sleep through and then you will worry something is wrong (you will wake and wonder why you are up) and is was what you wanted-she is sleeping and then you might miss it. :-)
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009