School's Out

School is out, My niece comes over everyday, she tries to stay all day long too. She's 11, My kids are ages 5, 3, and 7 months. I try to be nice, but it's starting to bug the heck out of me. I don't want to tell her not to come over, I thought it would be a help, but it makes me and my kids cranky, what would you do? I don't feel like I could tell her mother that I don't want her here all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Start running some errands and let he mom know you won't be home. Poor kid. I am sure that she is lonely and wants something to do. Plan some things with her mom along such as picnic in the park or just a walk somewhere in the area. Don't be so available.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 4:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• give her specific "helper" chores. Once she realizes she has to work she won't stick around long.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Agreed Admckenzie! Put her to work with small chores that she can't do any damage if she messes them up, and soon you will see her less and less!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yupe when my cousin (age 13) I have her do certain chores around the house..
    and I will also have her do specific stuff with the kids...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Oooooo, I like the chores ideas, lol, make her not want to come over. Lay out a large basket of laundry for her to fold.

Kinda mean, but funny at the same time. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think having her be your 'helper' and give her chores to do is a good idea. If that does not work out (or she is still too much for you to take) then I would talk to her mom and set up specific times/days for playdates. Be kind but be firm "we love to have Susie come over, how about we make Tuesdays and Thursdays the official playdates? I am sorry I can't have her over more often, but I have things that I really need to get done, and would like to have time with my kids alone".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2009