How do other moms cope with having a pre-tern baby in a hospital that is an hour away?

My first child was born at 29 weeks. I was sent from a close hospital to a hospital an hour away while I was in labor. It is hard to get up there. I relay on my sister to drive me. We go up there about 3 times a week and it is really hard on gas. I miss my baby more then anything but I know that he is safe there and getting the care that he needs.

rebecca_bergey

Asked by rebecca_bergey at 3:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I know that it's hard to be so far away from your little one. My twins were born at 30 weeks and were in the NICU for 8 weeks. I went three days a week like you are, I also called them all the time, mostly like three to four times a day to check on them to see how they were and all that. That helped me a lot there. Does that hospital have a boarding room that you can use when you're able to start to try to BF, if you're going to do that. Good luck mama! I know it's tough but he is getting the care that he needs right now. If you have any questions or just want to talk about it feel free to PM me, I have had 3 kids in the NICU so I know how hard it could be.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Wow, I had twins who were born at 32 weeks. They were only in the hospital for 3 weeks. I was fortunate that the hospital is only minutes away.
    I don't have any great advice but I will be praying for your little one and for you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Does the hospital have lodging available?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009