My son is three months old and he doesnt sleep during the day, and at nite he sleeps every two hours, am i doing something wrong???

kaydensmom16

Asked by kaydensmom16 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through the same thing with my son. This went on until he was 5 mths old. I found that if he slept in our room, he seemed to sleep longer. I even put him in our bed with a co-sleeper and he only got up once a night for a bottle. Hang in there. He will get out of that mode here very soon!
    2Jsmom05

Answer by 2Jsmom05 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• o naps? that's really strange? i dont think you're doing anything wrong unless you're purposely keeping him awake, but i doubt that since you're concerned enough to ask. but i'd take him in to see a doc. it could be a symptom of an underlying condition. maybe he's too uncomfortable to sleep. see your pediatrician to be sure.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• ** no naps... whoops.. my keyboard has peanuts stuck under the keys so they dont always press down all the way =P don't you just love kids! hahaha
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Are there any specific reasons you can think of as to why your son does not nap during the day? does he fall asleep in the car? Is there quiet time in the house during his nap time. Usually babies at 3 months old...should be sleeping at some point during the day....how are the feedings going during the day?
    funmommyofthree

Answer by funmommyofthree at 4:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I would try to soothe your baby to sleep before baby seems tired... less than 2 hours after he wakes up in the morning, and repeat throughout the day. Babies at 3 months definitely need naps, and overtiredness can definitely be responsible for the broken up night sleep. I would take a look at the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Marc Weissbluth?) -- not sure about the spelling of his name. He addresses the question of overtired babies (and the apparent contradiction -- they tend to be more wakeful) really well, IMO.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• he needs to have at least one nap. my son is 10 months and has 2 2hr naps a day and sleeps through the night.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Everyone will tell you what baby "should" have...but there's only one person who truly knows what your baby NEEDS as far as sleep goes.

Your baby.

They are governed by instinct and sleep when they really need it. More sleep is LOST over worrying about infant sleep than is needed!

Mine didn't nap either. And know what? Neither did I. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 8:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't know that all babies know how to sleep when they need it. My first daughter would never have fallen asleep without a lot of help. And I didn't understand that at first, but once I did, we were both a lot happier. I guess it's possible there are babies who don't need a daytime nap, but at 3 months I have trouble imagining it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009