How would you handle this? (family at the hospital when baby is born)

I am due in 2 weeks. I have already decided who is to be in the room, my husband, my mom, and my best friend. And my mom is even optional depending on what day of the week it is and if she will need to keep my other 3 kids or not. Everyone I know though is wanting to be at the hospital when I have the baby. I have made it clear no one is to be in the room except who I decided on, but how do I keep people from sitting in the waiting room? I want some family time after she is born, time to get into my room, and I want my older kids to be the first to see her. Hell, I might even want a nap before having alot of company. Do I just not tell anyone I am in labor? This is alot of people though including MIL, SIL, my dad, step-mom, several close friends, and a ton more extended family. If I tell one person, everyone else WILL find out. But I dont want the pressure of them all waiting outside to come in.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 3:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's a tough decision....because you can choose to just not tell them until after the fact, but then closer relatives like your MIL and your dad may be hurt. But at the same time this is about you and your baby. If you know you don't want that many people around then don't tell them. Heck, if you have the baby in the evening don't even call until the next morning....or call AFTER visiting hours are done so they couldn't come until the next day!

When I had my son my parents and my husband were there, no one else. I didn't see visitors until the next day, and I was happy with that!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Don't worry, tell the nursing staff that you do not want to be disturbed. They can let anyone know who tries to come see you that it's not a good time. Your reasons are totally justified and you should definitely get your rest and your important sibling time before having everyone else crowd you and your newborn. Good luck! =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Personally I would just stick with your Hubby in the room. I would maybe have your Hubby call everyone when the time is getting closer or even after the baby is out! If you want your kiddies to see your new baby 1st then, let them come and then tell everyone! Best of Luck!
    Anonymous

• I had that same problem. Try not to worry about it to much. Trust me once it comes time to push that will be the last thing on your mind! Maybe after the baby is born you could let everyone see him/her very quickly and then drop a hint you would like some rest. Only you know your family and know how direct you will need to be with this hint.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I let anyone visit while I was in labor and only my husband was there when she was born. My parents and everything sat in the waiting room. Most babies are born at night (mine was 12:31am) so nobody visited til like 3 that day (by that time it seemed like another day for me) Most of them called and asked if it was ok to visit now too. So maybe tell them you are going into labor and will call them after your baby is born? Then just call when you are up to visitors?
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I am having the same problem. I just want my husband to be there. I want my mom to wait in tne waiting room with my daughter. I want them to seem him first. But all my in laws want to be there. I do think family is important but I think we need our own family time
    msaltmomof2

Answer by msaltmomof2 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Put your nurse in charge!!!!

They are there to help you have a GREAT experience.Tell them that you want privacy and time alone. And they will handle the rest. Mine even put up a " no visitors" sign on my door for a while.

I would let them stay in the waiting room and then they can see the baby in the nursery, but I undertand you not wanting to be bombarded in your room. You just had a baby for cryin out loud:)

Just tell your nurse exactly what you want and she will handle it all. That way you can blame the Drs, say " yea, they wanted me to take a break that day after she was born" or whatever.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Plus too at least at the hospitals around here, only TWO people can be signed in for one patient....so if they were to all walk in to the front desk and say they were here for you, only two would be allowed to go in...and if your Hubby and Mom are already signed in (i don't think they count kids) none of them would be allowed entrance!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't tell no one when u are in labor, except ur husband and let him know u only want him there and u said maybe ur mom and friend. I'd only let my husband in the room. I'd call other people the next day cause it's not like the baby would be months old the next day, lol!!!
    Anonymous

• they have a right to know and share in the joy, if they want to wait outside then let them wait, hospitals have plenty to do and families love to talk. they can wait til you're darned ready for them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009