Questions about a career in law enforcement...

I have recently been considering going back to school, and one of the things I'm interested in pursuing is a career in law enforcement. So...I have a ew questions:

What kind of schooling must you do in order to become a PO?

Are there specialized training or courses above and beyond regular schooling?

What is a typical day as a PO? (I do understand there are several different "norms" and my questions is really about being a "beat cop." Sorry if that term is offensive, I just don't know any other way to phrase it)

Can you still be a PO if you have been in trouble with the law? (A stupid misdemeanor in college, which has since been wiped off my record.)

Does being a PO put a strain on your family life?

What are the best and worst parts about being a PO?

Thanks for answering my questions! I'm leaning towards this, but want to know as much as I can before I decide.

Nik

Nik8608

Asked by Nik8608 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• The officers I worked with generally had a Bachelor's degree. It is not required for many. You will absolutely need to go through the academy. You will also be required to pass a physical and a polygraph. This is where most people are disqualified. You also need to have a flexible schedule. The officers generally worked a 3 day on/off shift, meaning they worked 3 days for 12 hours each day, then got 3 days off.

I don't know about whether you can stll get in trouble for having something on your record. You may have had it "erased" but it will still show up on a background check-- it will show up as "vacated." It's a myth that you can "wipe" your record clean--and pretend it never happened.

Our officers got paid a lot, and the schedule is certainly nice. There is also opportunity for "easy" overtime by working security or being called to testify in court. The worst? The obvious is you can get killed.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You have to have a clean background.I have 7 family members that were cops all mostly retired.They started very young like 15 in the explorer program.All of them except one have graduated with a bachelor degree,masters or double masters.My first cousin and the youngest retired at 50 years old,no degree,being a liteunat and is the one who was the highest paid and youngest to retire.You also have to have perfect credit.Most officers not all know since about 15 or 16 that they want to become a police officer .There are a lot of programs expecially this program called the explorer program,I graduated from it too and all my family members did also.You have to go through the academy and all kinds of tests.You can retire and have a great retirement.My cousin the highest paid retired at fifty this year.You have to be with someone who understands your long hours,the stress,You can get killed but highly unlikely all my family are alive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2009