Will I be okay going to the breastfeeding class alone?

I'm really upset because I'm taking a breastfeeding class tonight and my husband is not coming with me, even though he really could if he wanted to. I mean he does have other stuff to do that is pretty important (he's trying to finish his medical school application) but I just wish he would come. I'm worried that it's going to be a bunch of couples and then just me by myself. Plus I just feel like it's important for him to hear the info. What do you ladies think?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sure is. I went alone. Some fathers go so that they can help you support your decision but there was a lot of women in my class that were alone.
    msaltmomof2

Answer by msaltmomof2 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I can definitely relate. My husband did not go with me because the hockey playoffs were on. I didn't think there would be alot of men there, but I was one of a few that was alone, everyone else had their spouse, or partner there. I really wish he would have went because the nurse talked about what the men can do to help out. My guy is one of those who thinks what does it have to do with him. Make him go. :)
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If you haven't expressed how much this means to you, TELL HIM. Tell him how much you want him there to receive the information with you, and how much of a comfort he will be for you.

If you have told him, well, obviously he just doesn't want to go. I really don't know how many men WOULD want to go because things like that can make them uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• It's most important that YOU go.
    As long as he gives you love and support when you are actually doing the breastfeeding, it will be fine if he doesn't hear the details. Take notes of things you think are important for him to know.

And I bet you aren't the only one alone there. While most husbands go to the birthing classes since they are expected to help "coach" mom through the delivery, few go to detailed classes like breastfeeding since it's not something they can actually do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My class was at 3pm when my husband was at work. I wasn't the only one there alone. Go gain some knowledge & info. When it comes down to it, I did most of the work anyway. He got me ice water or nursing pads or adjusted pillows but it was really me & baby learning how it goes.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• It's okay to go alone....my hubby would want to go if only for the hope of seeing breasts....lol
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't remember any men being in the class I took. It is important that you go and I wouldn't worry about being there alone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Try to explain to him, yet again, how important is for him to be there with you. If he still refused to go, then by all means, go without him and take notes and even record the class. Then make him listen to it, over and over again,lol!!

My husband was a lifesaver when I was nursing my first. He remembered stuff during the BF class that I couldn't remember in those first chaotic sleep deprived weeks.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• There were lots of ladies in my class without their husbands. Evidently there were more dads than normal because the instructor actually commented about how many dads were there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I went alone too. It was totally fine. I think the guys that were there were a little uncomfortable! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2009