Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do i have the right to be induced??

I am 37 and a half weeks prego : ) I was wondering if I request to be induced do they have to listen to me? It's not like I am just impatient, I have prengancy induced hypertension. My second concern is my son already measures 40 weeks! I really have my heart set on a vaginal delivery, but with his size Im afraid that I might end up with a c- section. : /


Asked by Mrsp333 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • ok first off all... although it is true that inductions up the chance of a c-section, thats usually ONLY becuase it puts you on a time frame from start to finish. Some anon on here said it will "most likely end up in a c/s" I would love to know where she gets that info! Inductions dont MOST LIKELY end in a c-section, they CAN end in a c-section just like any labor or pregnancy can!!

    Secondly... it wont hurt to ask if you can be induced but most doctors wont do it without a medical reason. But good luck... I was induced twice with no problems and no c-sections:)

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • You can still have a vaginal delivery if he's big. Inductions can cause some major problems, and have the high chance of winding up as a C-section anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • You'll be more apt to have one if you get induced than if you wait and let nature take it's course.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • You can request it but your doctor makes the ultimate decision. Also you say you don't want a c-section, well being induced INCREASES the risk for a c-section! Measurements can be wrong as well. at 39 weeks my son measured 10 pounds, I was induced, was in labor for 15 hours before having a c-section. He was 6 pounds 10 ounces, no where near 10 pounds!

    Induction doesn't always work, my babysitter was induced two weeks ago, she was in induced labor for 41 hours before finally having a c-section!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • If they become really worried about your hypertension they will intervene. They induced me in my 1st pregnancy at 38 weeks because my pressures were insane. However, I don't think they will otherwise. They usually only induce when they feel it is medically necessary.

    As far as his size, I went 3 agonizing weeks past my due date and ended up having to have a c-section because of her size. Her head was too big to move through the pelvis which sucked so freakin bad. But again, if they see it as a threat they will probably induce early to try and avoid a c-section.

    Answer by tnm786 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • The earliest my doctor would consider an induction was 39 weeks. I was begging for it at 36.
    Your doctor has to do what is best for you, so they have to make a decision of what is best, not what is convenient for you. Don't push it. Your baby will be here soon enough.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I told my doctor with my last one I wanted induced and I had just hit 37 weeks. He just had me do an amnio first to check for lung maturity. Once that came back, we did the induction 2 days later. My boy was fine. Mine was a vbac, and it was great. I would just ask your doctor about it. The worst that could happen is he says no and you are no worse off than you are now.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • induction will more likely end up in a c/s. don't rush it. if you are worried about your "hypertension" then change your diet. cut out all salt intake and up your protein intake.
    also, what has your blood pressure been?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I'm pretty sure you do. I was pg with my son and he was due on July 4. It was a horrible pregnancy. I was sick to the point of dehydration, had premature labor, you name it. On my last visit, I looked at the dr and told him that he needed to induce because I knew I was ready and I could not last any longer. He told me he agreed with me and scheduled me for July 2. My son was born on July 3. I would talk to your dr about it and tell him that you would like this option

    Answer by mommaking23 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Your baby has a right to grow to full term. That's whose rights they are interested in at this point. If you are being monitored for the hypertension, two more weeks isn't going to hurt you, but it can be serious for your baby.

    Answer by apexmommy at 5:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009