mix?

Can I mix a LITTLE cow's milk in my DD formula? She is 8 months old. I dont mean ALL the time, and not alot. Maybe 1/4 milk 3/4 formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not until she's a year old. The cow's milk has proteins that can be very, very hard on her stomach.
    Anonymous

• No. Why do you want to, to save money? Maybe a little wouldn't cause any harm, or maybe it would cause intestinal bleeding or a milk allergy. I wouldn't want to risk it, personally.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Now is not a good time. Her digestive system is not yet strong enough to digest the proteins from the milk, and you are more likely to end up with an allergic reaction from it.

I wouldn't risk it.

I waited until kaylee was 10 1/2 months old, then I started 1-2 times a week introducing very small amounts of milk to her, but even that is considered young.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No, I am not trying to save money...just wondering..I know they say not to switch till a year....but I didnt know about a little in her formula. I know my parents and grandparents did it with me...
    Anonymous

• It is not recommended to feed any baby cow's milk until after they are 1 year old. In addition to possible allergies, cow's milk interferes with a baby's ability to absorb iron. Iron deficiencies in babies can lead to adult anemia and other blood problems. Your baby's system can't break down cow's milk properly yet, which is why formula was invented for mothers who cannot or do not breast feed. Also, besides the damage that could be caused in the future health-wise, cow's milk will give your baby gas and make him/her constipated. It's just not a good idea for many reasons.
    Anonymous

• i'd wait til shes about 11 months at least, our parents and grandparents did a lot of stuff that now is not considered safe. from no seat belts, to letting us run around unsupervised all summer.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• No
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my dr said thats y kids get milk anemia (sp) is b/c parents switch over to regular milk befor babies are able to digest it...i wouldnt do it yet...id wait intill she was 11 months at least...i didnt switch my dd over intill wic stopped giving me formula
    Anonymous