can i still recieve medicaid?

can i still get medicaid after i give birth
can i still receieve it and for how long?
i am a single mom with a part time job and doing to college full time.
i just gave birth a month ago
and i just want to know that would they keep giving me medicaid n for how long?

Perez18

Asked by Perez18 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go apply and you will find out
    Anonymous

• i think it's 6 months for you and a year for the baby and then they re-evaluate your money situation and determine if you're still eligible or not. they might put you on a cheap insurance at that time that you can afford.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You have it until the baby is a yr. old but before that they will ask you to reapply. They will let you know what paperwork you might need.. G.L
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• That varies so much by state. Also there are a lot of cuts going on right now. I live in CA and my youngest are now 11. I was dropped off medicaid about 8 weeks after they were born. However because they have disabilities I was able to go back on because I couldn't work.
    Anyway, the best way to find out is to contact whomever is in charge of your medicaid right now and go from there.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• "You have it until the baby is a yr. old but before that they will ask you to reapply."

Not in Georgia.... I think its 6 weeks for the Mom, one year for the baby. After the 6 wks is up, you have to reapply for yourself. Its hard to get adult medicaid, but it isn't impossible. The income and asset limits are much lower than they are for children's medicaid.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Yes, you can. You will have to update your info and as long as you make under the guidelines you will get medicaid. It may be called something else though. In Wisconsin, it is BadgerCare and covers FAMILIES that make under a certain amount of money a year, as long as the children are under 19 years old. Talk to your caseworker to see what can happen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I don't get it here in Texas, even when I had very very little income I have never qualified for state medical (except to cover birth control). I do not qualify for any kind of medical assistance. I got medicaid until my son was 2 months old.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:07 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• In Washington State you get medicaid for 8 weeks after the birth for you 6 week check and etc. and then up to one year from the date of birth, but its family planning only on the coupon 8weeks to 1 year. You have to re-apply every six months. All three of my kids have been on DSHS coupons since the day they were born.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 2:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2009