Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I break my leg can I sue?

I told my land lord that our third to last basement step broke off last Saturday. He still hasn't fixed it. Our washer and dryer are in the basement and I can't exactly go another day without doing wash (we need towels, dishcloths so I can do dishes, clothes, not to mention I cloth diaper and am almost out of clean ones..). If I fall and break my leg because the step is broken, and I have already told him to fix it 4-5 days ago, can I sue him?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

Answers (7)
  • Do you have PROOF that you told him it was broken? At my old apartment complex we would fill out a work order, both I and the property manager (or her assistant) would sign it, and I would get a carbon copy of the order with the signatures.

    If you don't have proof that you told him, you are unlikely to win anything unless he admits that he know about it.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I agree with CAROLYNBARNETT on this..
    You know it's broke??You have lights in the basement? How could you break your leg?
    Just because you sue and win. Doesn't mean you will ever get any money out of your land lord.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Don't hold your breath,probably all you will get his grief from him. Do you have a lease by any chance?? hope so....

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • No, you can't just withhold the rent. Yes, you can sue. Will you win? Maybe, maybe not.

    Answer by Buffie95 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Do you have proof that you informed the landlord? Send him a letter by certified, return receipt mail. In the letter, add that you are holding the rent until he fixes the stairs. Have the check written out and ready for when he does fix the stairs. YOU CAN WITHHOLD RENT if the landlord refuses to fix a problem. You can sue anyone you want, but that doesn't mean that you will win. You do know that the stair is broken and should be taking precautions to avoid falling. If you have tom fix the stair with a piece of wood for a temp fix or fix it correctly and show the landlord the receipts and deduct the cost from that month's rent.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • I would send a certified letter so you have proof but state that he days XX days to fix it OR you will hire someone to fix the stair and deduct the cost from your next months rent!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Just start calling like 6 times a day !! Then they will move to fix it. You can sue anyone, recovering $$ is a WHOLE different story !!


    Answer by strongmom40 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Any one have a Kia Soul?