Should I be a SAHM this summer? Please read details.

I just finished up my summer classes and I don't have to go back to school again until August 3rd. My son is at a learning center/summer camp while I was going to school. He will start Kindergarten on August 7th. I am debating about keeping him home for the rest of the summer vs. letting him go to the learning center/summer camp for the remainder of the summer. I don't have a job but I am trying to find one that will work with my school hours this fall. My husband wants to keep him at the summer camp because he works nights and wants some peace and quiet during the day while he sleeps. I feel guilty about sending him off during the day since I am not in school or working. I do have some projects and other things that I would like to get accomplished so its not like I will be sitting on my butt all day or anything. I just really don't know what to do. Does anyone have some advice for me? What would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• The guilt usually goes away when your child has been in a school or daycare setting . It would seem to me that it would be profitable for your son because he would be interacting with other kids and learning educational things as well. As well it would bring peace and quiet for your tired husband and it seems you have things to do also. Why not put him in a few days a week like three and see how that goes and if you need five then do that.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• i worked at a preschool before i got pregnant, and they did a "summer camp" thing during the summer and seeing how much fun the kids had there vs. being cooped up at home, i'd save leave him there if hes happy!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Send him and enjoy your quiet time. Get the things done that YOU want to do. Just because you are a mom it doesn't mean that you have to be with your kids every minute. Enoy the freedom you have while he is in summer camp. And don't feel guilty about it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Thank you ladies! I feel a little better now. I think I will take him to the summer camp 3-4 days a week and the other day or two we will spend doing things together. There are a lot of kids activities this summer for his age, so we will be out of the house on the days that he is with me.
    Anonymous

• Camp can be really fun. Why don't you compromise by sending him 3 days a week?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009