He's so BAD!

My almost 1 y/o son is into everything, throws tantrums, mocks me, ignores me, and I just feel like I'm always getting mad at him for something instead of trying to have fun with him. I feel like it's a sign that he's just going to be a really bad kid growing up and once he's in school. I know it's normal for babies to do these things I just feel like my son is worse and I HATE feeling like that. What can I do to not feel this way or to make sure I'm raising him right so he doesn't turn out to be a bad kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• He's testing his boundaries, be sure to set his rules, and STICK to the rules,

One of the best ways to raise an obedient child, is to be CONSISTENT.

This is so hard sometimes, as parents we get tired and just wanna look the other way. But that makes more problems for us in the long run.

He is getting to the age where he is learning what he can and can not do. You as his mother are the one who decides his limits and teaches them to him.

You can do it, just be firm, loving and smart. :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He mocks you? I find that hard to believe. I think maybe you are having a hard time and are transferring your problems unto your kid.
    Basically all the things you are describing are normal one year old behaviors. You might want to go the doctor and discuss depression with him. You getting angry and frustrated with a baby is a sign that you are having issues with it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I mean mocks me as in laughs at me when I tell him no. I know for the most part these are normal behaviors but, like I said, I feel like he does it more and I'm asking advice. Thank you, but I don't feel it is depression :-)
    Anonymous

• I dont think its depression either mom, I just think its his first attempts at leaving babyhood and becoming a child who needs rules and guidelines.

I can tell you that when they enter into childhood and leave babyhood behind it can be a bit of a shock to parents.

He actually sounds a lot like my nephew, he is still rambunctious. It also may be part of his personality to be high strung, lol, I also have one child that is a difficult child. I just try to keep tight reigns on her, ( yes her, lol) and love her for her vivacious spirit. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• This is probably going to get ridiculed, but when I think my son is "worse then others his age" I take him to the park, like a crowded one, and watch all the other children as well as my son. I end up feeling better because there's always some bratty kid there thats worse then mine and I end up thinking boy am I glad I'm not that kids mom. Sounds like your son is just a typical boy, at 1 they don't understand "no"... adults say it all the time, but its meaningless to a child of that age. honestly, no matter how smart your child is developmentally he can not comprehend "no". Constant re-directing is the key at this age as well as consistency in his life and he'll get better as he gets older and understands more. Just give him time, and don't beat yourself up. Just remember, at least your not "that kids" mom :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He might be mimicking you .. That's the way babies learn things. That's a different thing then mocking you.

Answer by louise2 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The first and foremost thing you really should work on is how you are defining your son. You are already telling yourself that he is "bad" based on purely NORMAL behavior and your perception and attitude will define your choices on how you raise your son. He will come to see himself as "bad" because that is the role you are already placing him in. Learn how to change the labels you use to describe him. A good place to start is by reading how parental attitude toward children helps define how children view themselves. 2 good resources: Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka; Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel J. Siegel and Mary Hartzell. I cannot emphasize enough how YOUR attitude will define how your child learns to see himself. It's a positive sign that you don't like the way you feel, these two books will help you find ways to change your perspective so that you will no longer define your son as bad. GL
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• First of all you should stop thinking of your child as BAD. There is no bad child. He is doing behaviors that are developmentally appropriate, he is still a baby. If you want him to act a certain way then you need to SHOW him what you want him to do. Babies are not mind readers, they need to be taught what they need to know. They don't automatically know everything. Your son needs PATIENCE and redirection, over and over again. Again, you really need to change your perception of him, if you continue to think of him as bad and tell him he is bad, he will grow up to feel that way and he will be bad, truly bad and then you will have no one but yourself to blame.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• children learn what they live and at 1 he is not mocking. he doesn't know what it even means. Children do bad things but they are not bad. He's probably feeding off your negative energy and acting out. Normally kids don't do this until 2 or 3 so you have to get yourself in control so he will calm down.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009