(one more) If you are Pagan but not Wiccan ...

Do you still follow the Wiccan Rede? (by choice of course)
What other "guidelines" for other Pagan traditions are there? (if any).

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't exactly follow the Rede... I only know the one line of it anyway. The one line that everyone knows LOL. I do believe that what you put out there (in deed, word, OR thought, conscious or subconscious) comes back to you. Not necessarily times three. I think it's either even or it's a more random equation than that. But if you think anger, speak anger, and act in anger, then if that comes back to you, it would be "times three" right? So in that sense I'm not in disagreement. I prefer the concept of "karma" and "ahimsa" (nonharming.) I know that there are several Pagans who do not subscribe to this belief at all.

There are different guidelines for different beliefs. Asatru has "Nine Noble Virtues", Celtic religions have "Nine Virtues" as well. I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing included in harm none, it's my understanding that the priority on justice, courage, and honor - can sometimes means harming.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Holy crack, batman... Trying to make my answers succinct means I end up leaving out parts of sentences. I hope that last part made sense.
    Anonymous

• And why that was anon, I'll never know. I'm on a roll today. LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Funny, I was just reading something earlier today about the dilemma between Heathen honor and Western society. Heathen honor (see the NNV Collinsky mentioned) has at its core that you fix your own problems, you deal with your own mistakes, and you take responsibility for your actions. This is directly contradictory to First do no harm. In fact, if we were to live it as literally as it were meant, we'd all die in prison, because honor would dictate that any time we were dishonored we take vengeance, and not in a sue you in court kind of way.

Living honorably does imply that you wouldn't outright hurt someone to begin with, but it's more complicated than that - do they deserve to be treated honorably? It's not a generic be nice to everyone, it's treat those with respect who earn your respect, even if that means testing them to see how honorable they are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009