How do I keep my tweens from watching television this summer?

Even though they have been going to camps at the college and library, the movies, and having friends over, they still seem sooo bored. They seem to gravitate to the television and it is really frustrating me. I don't want them spending the summer watching television. When I don't let them turn it on they lay around on the couches acting depressed. How do I help them to have a constructive and productive summer?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My kids get to watch tv for the hour before bedtime. Other times they can go to the youth center and play basketball with friends, we have a pool on base that we plan on going to when it warms up, we are going to make days out by going into Seattle or Tacoma, going to the markets, zoos, wildlife reserve, going camping, may go on a week long trip to a resort in canada where they don't even have a tv in the room, just lots of fun things they can really get INVOLVED in doing. Try to find something active that you all can go out and do together.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Get the satellite/cable turned off..Then they can't even think they can do that at your house.

Answer by louise2 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Maybe give them a summer project - building something, painting or decorating, whatever you think they will get excited about and not cause you too much trouble.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Disconnect the tv. Put parental controls on the tv so they can only watch educational shows. Tell them that if they are that bored, they can clean, read a book, clean out the garage or basement.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Get out and do stuff with them! Ride bikes, play in the sprinkler, take them to the zoo, the park, go hiking, go to museums, take a day trip to a nearby city or landmark of interest, have a reading contest (awards for reading so many hours), go to the library, find some community service to do (tree planting, city cleanup), see if there are any neighbors that want their dogs walked, there are plenty of things to do. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Disconnect your cable. Tell them its just for the summer. We always get rid of our cable during the summer since we are always out and about.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My ds watches discovery channel and educational shows. I don't allow Simpsons or the B.S. on the Disney Channel. I also tell him one hour of reading for one hour of T.V.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

•  Puzzle, leave out a puzzle on a table that they can put together a bit each day

Games - they might not initiate on their own, so you can play with them http://www.cjkidz.com/moregames.html (see family fun games or activity book)

Organize their room, your photos, a desk drawer, your basement.

Volunteer - have them volunteer to help someone babysit (be the entertainment committee where they organize games activities for children younger then themselves...this would keep them busy as well as some other kids and be a help to the babysitter).  Or organize a carnival see here http://www.cjkidz.com/familesgivingback.html

Click on http://www.cjkidz.com/eventsearch.html  to see children's events in your area

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't focus on NOT WATCHING TV but instead focus on what they ARE going to be doing. Some down-time is okay too, though.....They are probably busy through the school year.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2009