How much is too much milk?

He's starting to concern me but, I'm trying to avoid a doctor visit if necessary. He drinks no less than 6 8oz. cups of milk a day. He was 2 in April.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No milk is not an option. I support the dairy industry because my parents and inlaws are dairy farmers. Sorry, that wasn't the question so I'm not going there.
    Anonymous

• He should be only drinking 8 oz of milk a day, no more than 6 oz of 100% full strength juice and the rest should be water. He would get his calcium and fat from other dairy products, yogurt, cheese, etc. I got this info right from the pediatrician. Call the pediatrician and see what they say. Too much calcium can make the bones too soft.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• He should have 2 to 3 servings of milk products a day. A serving is a slice of cheese, a cup of milk, a carton of yogurt. Remember, that's ALL milk products.

He's only 2. Simply refuse to give it to him. Yes, he may scream and cry. That's what two-year-olds who don't get their way do. Ignore the tantrum just as you ignore every tantrum.

Put a couple of sippy cups of water around his play area so he doesn't get dehydrated. And don't just switch him to juice - he should have no more than 1 cup of juice (8 ounces) a day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Toddlers aged 1 year through 2 years do not need as much milk/dairy as one would think. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that 16 ounces of whole milk per day is all your toddler will need. Calcium for Infants & Toddlers (AAP). Toddlers do not need “milk” per se rather, they need the calcium, protein and fat that milk and/or dairy products provide. A toddler should get approximately 800mg of calcium per day – one cup of milk is approximately 300mg of calcium Always serve whole milk to your Toddler until you are otherwise advised to do so!
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• So, I'm guessing his 1/4- 1/2 gal of milk a day is a little much. He does have sippys of water also. I don't even buy juice. I'm wondering if there could be an underlying problem that is causing him to want that much to drink during the day?  He doesn't eat a whole lot. Filling up on fluids.

Anonymous

• http://notmilk.com/
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• im dd has always drank at least a half a gallon of milk from the time she was a year old intill now...i never retricted her on ilk intak childeren need it for healthy bones and teeth... i asked my dr about just last nite b/c i was concern that she was drinking to much milk but doc said it was alright...im not a fan of juices and she wont drink water no mater how thirsty she is...when she is sick its gatorade cut with h2o or ginger ale...when shes with mimi and poppy they give her a half cup of soda against my wishes...wich doesnt happen very often...but to answer ur question he seem like a perfectly normal little boy to me.
    Anonymous

• Toddlers should not drink anymore than 24oz. of milk per day, because too much milk can lead to anemia. Preferably, their milk and dairy intake should be3 - 4 servings a day. A serving for a toddler equals 4 oz. milk, 1/2 oz. cheese, 4 oz. yogurt or cottage cheese. I would probably have your toddler tested for anemia. Also be sure he is eating plenty of iron rich foods, and don't give him milk at the same time because calcium can block the absorption of iron. Give him something that is high in Vitamin C (such as orange juice or strawberries) w/ iron rich foods as the Vit. C can help absorb the iron.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Holy cow that is WAY too much milk in a day. He should get no more than 24 oz of milk in a day.. the rest should be water. If he really likes milk I would water it down half milk half water.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Past the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water. Remember that cow milk is for baby cows. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009