how can i get my one year old off of her bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried just giving a sippy cup? i thought my daughter would be hard to switch over but she didn't have a problem with it. if not just gradually start giving water and juice in the cup and then milk in the cup during the day and the bottle only at night
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Just stop giving it to her. Put them away so she cannot see them. She will drink out of a cup when she is thirsty.
    Anonymous

• I just stopped giving it to him one day. Last Sunday actually. I just made the switch and decided no more bottles. I have tried many sip cups int he past and put water in them and let him play with them and experiment. The ones that worked best for me were the Nudy soft silicon tip with no handles. The tall ones. Since his bottle had no handles he was used to holding it like that and the silicon tip feels similer to the nipple. Tty putting something in there he may really like. My ds loves V8 Fusion Strawberry Bannana and I just dilute it with a bunch of water. Then I think he associated sip cups with yummy stuff. Good luck
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 5:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• just take it away. once my kids frist birthday came i took it and never gave it back. i gave them a slippy cup and him cry it out
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 6:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• ok why would you take it away? their only 1 year old, maybe at 15 or 18 months but why do you wanna take it away now. when their ready, they'll let you know, also you can give them the nuby sippy cup with the rubber nipple. thats the best transaction if you insist on taking him/her off the bottle now
    Anonymous

• Bottle "fairy" came and took all the "baby bottles" and gave him "big boy cups" in exchange. Nuby is a great start. Get rid of ALL the bottles, nipples, rings, pacifiers in the house to avoid a "mommy relapse." Stay strong and they will get over it.
    ShawnaLT1

Answer by ShawnaLT1 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My kids didn't have a problem switching. I just gave them the sippy and it took them just a few minutes to figure it out and it was done. But I wouldn't recommend trying to give it to him if he's really thirsty. But once you take the bottle away, DON'T give in. He won't go thirsty.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2009