My son is 7 weeks now and my son is now refusing to latch on - previously there was no issue.

I have been nursing him consistently except for a brief time during week 3 when I had thrush, pumped and offered him the breast milk in a bottle. This morning, my son refused to latch and has not latched since and it is 5:30pm now. I was able to pump and offer him the bottle successfully though. Any idea why he might refuse to latch? He just cries but will nto try to latch on anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

imawilson

Asked by imawilson at 5:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might have gotten lazy, it is easier to feed from the bottle then the breast, sometimes they can have nipple confusion also, have you tried to feed him before he gets too hungry, he might be willing to latch on if he is not too hungry. Keep offering him the breast, I know it is hard to pump and bottle feed, also baby is so much better at getting the milk out than we are by hand or pump
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Stop giving bottles now! He will not starve himself, I promise. Just keep offering the breast. If you continue giving him bottles he will become confused and ultimately refuse your breast for good because getting milk from a bottle is easier. Nurse skin-to-skin a lot as well. Have you tried different positions, different environments, etc.? If he is crying like he's in pain, he might have a sensitivity to something your eating, a few common belly-ache foods are DAIRY(milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, NOT eggs), spicy foods, broccoli, chocolate, and coffee.

Keep up the good work, and dont give up mama!! (((hugs)))
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I agree with the above ladies...you can give pumped milk is a syringe or medicine dropper and use the dropper to put milk on your nipples to get him to latch...no bottles when they refuse the breast...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Have you tried using a nipple shield? My daughter is 100% breastfed and has always had a problem with latching on. Ive been using a ns since she was 2 weeks old.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• For one try a lot of different things before giving him the bottle as this is only going to encourage him to desert the breast for the fast flow bottle. if you HAVE to use a bottle make sure it is the slowest flow possible and you pace the feeds very slowly. Go into a quiet dark place and nurse him while rocking him. Try different positions. It sounds abnormal for him to suddenly not latch since the last time he had a bottle was weeks ago. And he;s been latching since then aparently. Maybe it's a fluke. At that age babies are still getting used to finding the nipple and getting that great latch. good luck :)
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2009