I dont know what to think of myself with this one, breastfeeding...

I have a daughter who is about 15 months. I have always said I would let her self wean, encouraged other mom's to do so and have been VERY firm in my belief of the importance of this. Well, now that it comes down to it and i safely can wean my daughter from the breast, I am wanting to so badly. I feel so overwhelmed with everything right now. I never go out, I never get a babysitter, I'm constantly nursing, she nurses all night long as well. Breastfeeding sucks the energy right out of me, and I just feel so ready to be finished, but I'm overcome with guilt about it. I feel like if I wean her now, I will be a terrible mother, I'll regret it, she'll stop being so healthy, I'll damage her emotional health, etc., etc., etc.

Ladies, be completely honest with me, what should I do? What would YOU do? What do you think would be BEST? Thanks in advance :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would wean her. She will be plenty healthy, especially since you have already nursed her for 15 months. It will not damage her emotionally and you will not regret it as long as you think you are making the best decision.
    I felt so strongly about so many things before my son was even born. It is safe to say that not everything has gone exactly like I planned and things I swore I would/would never do turned out to be the opposite. So by your standards, I am a terrible mother (I ended up formula feeding after 6 months because I couldn't make enough milk and had to go back to work.) I had the full intention of nursing my son until he was one. I dont regret it and I know that he is loved and healthy.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I think that the best thing you can do for your daughter is take care of her mother. You did great! Wow, 16 months, that is awesome. It is okay to take care of yourself now too. She will be fine, I promise. She will grow and learn and become her own person too. She will do okay. Take care of yourself too okay. You matter too. Good luck.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Of course she'll still be healthy.Don't feel guilty..it's not like she's going to stop eating period just because she's not getting breast milk..if that was the case you know how many 15 year old kids would be runnin around hangin off mommas boob?lol.I stopped breast feeding my daughter at 3 weeks because it was just too much, so you're better than me I gues.Felt guilty for 2 minutes.Got over it.She's heathy as a horse,she's thriving,is at a good weight,happy.Yeah, you'll be alright.So will your daughter.
    Anonymous

• Congrats for making it that long - I plan to go for a year (my dd is 3 months now) -
    You did what was best for her and docs recommend a year...you exceeded that, good job! You should be really proud and you sound like a great momma. So don't feel bad about weaning now.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My son is almost 12 months old and we are still BFing. I don't understand. Are you BFing exclusively? She should be on solids way before now and should not be nursing constantly. Before nap, before bed, maybe an afternoon feeding and maybe once or twice during the night. I am not knocking you for weaning. We will be there soon ourselves, but maybe you should just try limiting her first. Then maybe you won't feel so guilty. You have gone really far and that is a good thing. But know that you also can't stop cold turkey without possibly causing problems to yourself. Start by getting rid of one of the most inconvenient feedings, wait about a week and get rid of another inconvenient feeding. Maybe if you are only nursing her once or twice a day you will feel better. If not, keep cutting out one feeding a week until she is weaned. Good luck!!!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• If your not enjoying it anymore that I say it's time to wean her.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Why would you be a terrible mother for weaning your 15 month old daughter? Stop listening to breast nazis who tell you that you should breastfeed indefinitely...you don't have to. Congrats for hanging in there for 15 months by the way.
    Anonymous

• Why can't you have a sitter? You hand baby over and LEAVE. SImple. If baby is hungry baby will eat. Many babies wait,...and it's NO BIG DEAL. If she SLEPT fopr eight or ten hours you'd be doing carthweels...and she's certainly not eating in her sleep!

Stop depriving yourself. There's NO reason for it.

If you want to wean, do it. Drop a feeding a week till gone. Understand it only changes the fact that you're not nursing. Everything else that's overwhleming you will still be there. SO leanr to let some stuff go. Hand baby to a sitter and GO. Whether you've weaned or not.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

And to anon 4:46....we prefer "militant breastfeeding cult."

And the ONLY bad mother is the on who beats her baby. Period. End of discussion.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Fifteen months is something to be very proud of! Congratulations on a job well done. Don't feel bad about weaning, it's time!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009