Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get visitation in my state with my children?

My Children want to visit me in my home state, my Ex will not allow them to come. The Judge says they will not get involved unless he refuses to let me visit them in their state, My children want to visit with family that do not go to that state since they have no one other than my children that are related to them. I am unable to work due to a disibility so I do not have the money to travel there and also rent a room for more than a day or two, it takes 4 days by bus to get there which is the only way I casn afford to get there, not to mention the cost of food, and things that my children and I can do while visiting eachother. My Parental rights have not been terminated so I still have rights to my children, just not custody,Which I am still working to get.

Answer Question

Asked by mommajay915 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • The best thing I can advise is to speak to an attorney. Maybe try to get one from a place like legal aid.

    Answer by honeychick772 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • My ex husband lives in another state and in our custody papers we had a visitation plan written up so that my son goes to see him during some holidays and part of the summer.Contact your attorney.As above poster aid if you need.Good Luck!

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Speak to an attorney in both states and see what you can do.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • See if the free legal advice at (that is 2 v's not a w) can help guide you as to what you can do.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

  • Does your CO specifically say the children cannot travel to your state? If so, a lawyer is your best bet. Just out of curiosity, if your Ex would allow the children to visit you, how are they going to get there? You say you can only afford the bus--would you travel on the bus to get your children & then make them spend 4 days on the bus back to your state? Or is your Ex refusing to allow the visit b/c you cannot pay for it & he does not feel he should have to pay either? How are you going to pay for the extra food & entertainment for the children while they are there? I'm not saying you shouldn't get to see your kids, just that your Ex may have valid concerns. Good luck.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.