My sister having babies to compete with me?!

I have 2 children that are 14 1/2 months apart. They are 2 1/2 and 16 months right now. My sister has 1 child who is almost 5 months old. While we were on vacation last week she took a pregnancy test at the hotel and it was positive. She acted like it was a surprise and so on.

Then later on that night I went to go outside and I heard her talking on the phone and she said "My 2 kids will only be 13 months apart and my sister is going to get mad because everyone will be talking about me instead of her...we wanted them to only be 12 months apart but I didnt get pregnant on the first try."

I was totally shocked when I heard this. I have never considered my children being so close together (not planned) as an attention getter! This whole situation has blown my mind. (I'll be posting another ? about her in a few minutes)

Have you ever had a sibling or friend do something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I haven't heard of siblings, but my dh and his best friend seem to compete in most everything if one gets something the other has to have better. It makes one mad if the other out does him. Even if it's just who's first to do something.
    Anonymous

• that is ridiculous and i'm so sorry that your sister is that immature.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 6:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• my sisther is like that with what ever i get or have. she trys to get something better or complains i have it. she did it with our kids as well. the sad part is shr isnt thinking how she is going to support them
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 6:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Maybe she will learn her lesson if she is not able to take care of them because she was not really "ready" to have children so close together. One day she might regret her reasons for having babies!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My cousin decided to adopt a baby when she found I was pregnant with my second child. She wasn't too happy when she found out I was pregnant again. Then she got pregnant again by a guy our family has never met because she wanted to actually be pregnant, since she didn't get to experience it the first time around. Now she's a single mom with 2 kids, nothing against single moms but her behavior seemed odd.
    Anonymous

• Gosh, thank God i don't have a sister lol.
    Anonymous

• None of my sisters are really competing when it comes to our children. We all live in different states, so it's not really like we spend all that much time together.

However, when I got pregnant with my first son, my husband's ex-wife got really jealous. They have a son together, so we are in constant contact with her. When she remarried, her new husband had told us that they would not be having any children. But after I got pregnant, I think maybe she sabotaged that plan, because a few months later she turned up pregnant too. Supposedly it was an "accident", but I don't really believe that. After her daughter was born, she had a tubal, so there couldn't be any more "accidents", which was good because a couple years later my second son was born, and I know she was just eating her heart out about it too!
    Anonymous

• My oldest daughter is going to be 18years old this year. My ex husband and I tried for about 6 months to conceive her. Everyone in the family knew we were trying to have a baby. When we finally annouced that I was pregnant, my mother said that I wasn't the only one in the room that was pregnant. Her son was born 5 days before my daughter. Our second daughter was born three years later and presto she was pregnant soon after, naming her son after my husband. Weird or what??? I went through a divorce after a 14 year marriage and meet the most wonderful man about a year later. We have been together almost four years and he is wonderful to my daughters. He was never able to have children of his own, at least that's what the doctor told him 15 years ago. Guess what, we found out that we are going to have a baby this December. What did my sister have to say? "I guess everyone will expect me to have another baby now"!
    Anonymous