Putting one year old in toddler bed

my son is going to be a year and a half soon and i was wondering how soon is it to start trasitioning from crib to toddler bed. the thing is i really want him in a big boy bed before the new baby gets here or at least working on it so we have more room when we put the other baby in the room with him.

Herron

Asked by Herron at 6:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say that it's never too early as long as you think that he can handle it. My son actually transitioned himself a few months ago at 19 months old (I wrote a blog about it if you want to check it out).
    Just look to some other moms for great advice on transitioning if your son has problems with it, because some transition easier than others. And good luck!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think that's a great time personally. I actually bought my daughter a toddler bed yesterday. She only 9 months now, but I planned on putting her in the toddler bed before the new baby is here. Which won't be till November. I was out running errands and the toddler bed was on sale so I just had to get it. I'll probally wait till September(when my daughter turns 1) to get her to start using it. =]
    sexymommaxoxo

Answer by sexymommaxoxo at 7:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The best time to switch is when they get old enough and big enough to get OUT of the crib by themselves. Usually this is between 18-24 months. Otherwise you will be fighting with a baby that won't stay in bed, or might roll out. Make sure you have the side rails if you want to switch earlier than that. Safety is an issue too. You don't want a baby to be getting up at night and playing in the bedroom or wandering around the house before they are old enough to really know what they can and can't do (like climb up the stairs, etc)
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 7:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It can be HARD to transition from crib to bed. My son was an AWESOME sleeper in his crib, but it took about 3 months to get him back on the same schedule in the bed. When he realized he could get up whenever he wanted, he wouldn't get back in bed without me rocking him again. I pretty much had to train him all over again. (Although there was some teething time in there, so that didn't help either.) Anyway, if you're going to make the switch, do it ASAP... so you can get him back to "normal" before the baby comes. ALSO, it will really help if you get him a bed that he can be proud of. I got my son the Elmo bed & he LOVES it. It looks very childish, but I think it REALLY helped!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Sapient said:
    "You don't want a baby to be getting up at night and playing in the bedroom or wandering around the house before they are old enough to really know what they can and can't do (like climb up the stairs, etc)"

I just wanted to say that my suggestion with this is to put a baby gate on the door of the room and baby proof the room. If my son wakes up and plays during the night there is absolutely nothing that can hurt him other than if he did something like run headfirst into the wall. His room just has some toys and then the rest is babyproofed and there is a baby gate on the door...so that I can still CLOSE the door but if he opens it he can't get out :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my daughter is 19 months old and i put her in a toddler bed about 7 months ago. she sleeps better in it and the transition was easy. she thinks she's a big girl now!
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My kids are 10 months a part and I wasn't about to buy a second crib...I found a toddler bed at a garage sale for $10. So we got him that and a new mattress for the crib. So my DS was in a toddler bed when he was 10 months old. He did fine!!! When we moved here, my kids were 2 years old and 14 months old. We got a second toddler bed at that time (another garage sale find for $20). So DD was in a toddler bed when she was 14 months old...she did fine too.  It is garage sale season...so if you haven't already got the toddler bed check out some garage sales. You might get lucky like we did.  As long as the frame is in good shape it doesn't matter if it's used!

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I put my daughter in her toddler bed hen she was 14 months old, she loves it if she gets tired she climbs in her bed and goes to sleep, and she sleeps all night.
    mommysterling2

Answer by mommysterling2 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2008