feelin guilty...

found out that a friend died from accidental over dose on heroin.. she was in lock up to get treatment and was gettin out patient treatment for addiction and i thought she was getting better, i was in denial...i wish there was something more i could of done.. anyone else been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm not seeing how you can feel guilty over your friend's decision to use drugs. I have had friends die from overdoses before and I felt sad but I didn't have anything to do with their decisions to use drugs so I felt no guilt. Sorry for your loss though.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You need to remember that this is not your fault. You did not force him to do drugs. You did not force him to join the lifestyle he grew accustomed to. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!! You need to remember that. If you were there when this person needed you the most then that is all you could. Addicts are manipulative and they will hide the fact that they are doing drugs. They will put themselves in isolation just to get drugs. You have no reason to feel guilty. I know how hard it is to love someone you care about. Time will help, it does not heal all wounds, but it will help. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2009