Could America learn a lesson from Iran?

When the people get together to protest what they feel is wrong, it can be a powerful and scary thing.

Case in point: The recent elections in Iran. The hard-liner, Ahmadinijad, won re-election but many people feel that there are serious issues with the election. To protest, they have taken to the streets. When will America show such passion for what they believe in?

My answer: Probably never. We are all about screaming at the TV, but have very little motivation to try and change things. Thus, we will continue to be led around by the nose in whatever direction the government wants us to go.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What amazes me is how many people I know who stick their noses in the air at the idea of the tea parties, yet think what the Iranians are doing is something that should happen more often. That's not to say the risk is equivalent - there's not a single US protester that faces death just by speaking up - but it's the inability to see the connection that gets me. Even nutjobs like Cindy Sheehan are at least doing something. She may be a misguided fool, but it beats 8 years of whining followed by 6 months of STFU and get over it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I guess that depends on if we end up getting a 'News Czar' to tell us what to think.
    I will go with, it's not likely, but anything is possible.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Well there is th tea parties.As far as I know July 4th will be the next ones and again some in D.C. across from the WH.I guess a good amount of Americans just are blind,do not care,or are happy with the things are headed.What do we do about that? Those probably won't care until it is too late.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• The people in Iran along with other 3rd world countries have very little rights and freedom. You cant compare U.S to those countries, this country is far more developed than that. Those people are fighting for their right to be heard, for their vote to count. The protesters feel that the votes were rigged.
    Anonymous

• The protesters feel that the votes were rigged.

Something I heard often and loudly both 8 and 4 years ago. Yet most people didn't do anything about it, they just sat on their asses and whined on the internet about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• You cant compare U.S to those countries, this country is far more developed than that. Those people are fighting for their right to be heard, for their vote to count. The protesters feel that the votes were rigged.

Um, some of us do feel that way anon :41.

Anonymous

• I heard on the news that they announced who won before they counted the votes in Iran . There are many people here passionate about a lot of things. Here is California we have the prop 8 situation. We have had people carrying signs on both sides. Both are very passionate. Abortion is another issue. Today I saw people yelling and holding up signs at a clinic that does abortions. While I agree with them about abortion , I don't know that what they are doing is really helping . People have been canvassing the streets in my city to oust a couple of city council members. They were very passionate. If you mean killing or hurting each other, we have had some of that also. We have the right to vote. That has been established. It is up to us to make sure that our voice is heard.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 7:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• We *do* have people out in the streets protesting, though. If you wren't here in CA, you may not have been aware of the protests the day the state supreme court upheld Prop 8. You might have missed all of those protests.

Does the Million Man March ring any bells? How about the march on Selma? Anti-abortion activists descend on Washington every year.

And of course, the TEA parties.

What I wonder is whether dialogue in this country has turned more to forums such as this one. I see more online political activity than I ever do in person. We've retreated to electronic caves. And no, I don't think that's a good thing.

We need to continue a vigorous exchange of ideas.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Guess you haven't been to a tea party. The difference is we are not a violent group. Americans in general are not violent. We do not go off half cocked. I think you have it wrong saying we are not passionate about what we believe in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2009

• we did something about what we though was wrong. We organized and created an incredible grass root movement and elected president Obama. Just because it's not what you wanted to be part of doesn't mean it didn't happen. Not everyone thinks like you.
    Anonymous